Is My Balanced Equation for C5H12 Combustion Correct?

In summary, complete combustion of C5H12 is a chemical reaction that produces carbon dioxide and water as products. The reactants are pentane and oxygen, and the balanced equation is C5H12 + 8O2 → 5CO2 + 6H2O. This reaction requires sufficient oxygen and a source of heat. Incomplete combustion can lead to the production of toxic carbon monoxide and soot, as well as decreased energy efficiency.
sami23
I was given to complete and balance the complete combustion of C5H12

I did this by adding O2 so it would be combusted and got:

C5H12 (g) + 8O2 (g) --> 5CO2 (g) +6H2O (g)

is this correct? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, your balanced equation for the complete combustion of C5H12 is correct. This reaction represents the complete oxidation of C5H12, producing carbon dioxide and water as the only products. This type of combustion is important in understanding the energy released from hydrocarbon fuels and their impact on the environment. Good job on balancing the equation!

Related to Is My Balanced Equation for C5H12 Combustion Correct?

1. What is complete combustion of C5H12?

Complete combustion of C5H12 is a chemical reaction in which a molecule of C5H12 (pentane) combines with oxygen (O2) to produce carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O) as products. It is an exothermic reaction, meaning it releases heat energy.

2. What are the reactants and products of complete combustion of C5H12?

The reactants of complete combustion of C5H12 are C5H12 (pentane) and O2 (oxygen), while the products are CO2 (carbon dioxide) and H2O (water).

3. What is the balanced chemical equation for complete combustion of C5H12?

The balanced chemical equation for complete combustion of C5H12 is:
C5H12 + 8O2 → 5CO2 + 6H2O

4. What are the conditions necessary for complete combustion of C5H12?

The conditions necessary for complete combustion of C5H12 are a sufficient amount of oxygen (O2) and a source of heat (such as a spark or flame). Without enough oxygen, incomplete combustion may occur, resulting in the formation of carbon monoxide (CO) and/or soot.

5. What are the potential hazards of incomplete combustion of C5H12?

Incomplete combustion of C5H12 can produce carbon monoxide (CO), which is a toxic gas. It can also produce soot, which can contribute to air pollution and potentially cause respiratory issues. Incomplete combustion can also release less energy than complete combustion, making it less efficient and potentially causing problems in engines or other combustion systems.