Is My Alternative Method for Calculating the Branching Ratio of W -> e-Ve Valid?

• Thread starter venomxx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to finding the branching ratio of (W --> e-Ve). The book uses Fermi's golden rule, while the person asking the question wonders if their method of using ΔEΔT = hbar is also valid. They propose using Γ = 1/ΔT = ΔE/hbar to approximate the branching ratio. They ask for clarification on whether this is a valid approach and if there is an easier way to find the branching ratio.
venomxx

Homework Statement

Work out the branching ratio of (W --> e-Ve)
The book uses fermi's golden rule to do it, but I am wondering if my different solution is also valid?

Homework Equations

Γ = 1/τ and ΔEΔT = hbar

The Attempt at a Solution

If ΔEΔT = hbar, then i can write ΔT = hbar/ΔE

Therefore Γ = 1/ΔT = ΔE/hbar should give me an approximate value of the branching ratio...

Can anyone tell me if this is a valid approach to find the branching ratio for a particle decay? If not please let me know of any easy way to do it, I am sure there is one i just can't find it!

Physics news on Phys.org
is there any reason why this might not have been answered? Phrasing\clarity? content?

I would say that your approach to finding the branching ratio is not entirely valid. While it may give you an approximate value, it is not a precise calculation using the correct formula. Fermi's golden rule is a well-established and accepted method for calculating the branching ratio in particle decays. It takes into account the specific properties and interactions of the particles involved, whereas your approach is more of a general calculation based on fundamental principles.

That being said, it is always good to question and explore different methods and approaches in science. I would suggest researching and understanding the limitations and assumptions of your approach, and perhaps comparing it to other methods to see how they differ in their results. This can lead to a better understanding and appreciation of the concepts involved.

Related to Is My Alternative Method for Calculating the Branching Ratio of W -> e-Ve Valid?

1. What is a branching ratio?

A branching ratio, also known as branching fraction, is a measure of the probability that a particular type of decay or reaction will occur in a particle or nucleus.

2. How is branching ratio calculated?

In particle physics, branching ratio is calculated by dividing the number of times a specific decay or reaction occurs by the total number of times any decay or reaction occurs.

3. What does a high branching ratio indicate?

A high branching ratio indicates that a particular decay or reaction is more likely to occur compared to other possible decays or reactions of that particle or nucleus.

4. How is branching ratio useful in research?

Branching ratio is useful in research as it provides valuable information about the fundamental properties of particles and nuclei, as well as their interactions and decays.

5. Can branching ratio change over time?

Yes, branching ratio can change over time as new experimental data and theoretical models are developed, providing a deeper understanding of the underlying processes.