Is Momentum Always Conserved in a Collision?

In summary, conservation of momentum is a principle that states that the total momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external forces. This means that during a collision, the total momentum of the objects involved will not change as long as there are no external forces acting on them. However, individual objects may experience changes in velocity and direction, but these changes will cancel out due to equal and opposite internal forces. This concept is important in understanding collisions and other physical interactions between objects.
vineroon
I am not sure if I understand the premises under which conservation of momentum can be considered. First of all, I am aware that momentum is conserved if there are no external forces acting on a system. So, if you are looking at two objects colliding, their momentums will always be conserved if there aren't any forces acting on the system itself.

This brings into question of actually solving for conservation of momentum. Is it always conserved during a collision? What kind of external forces can act during a collision? Is the momentum conserved if you bounce a ball on Earth?

Another thing I am confused about is the vector relationship to conservation of momentum. Say that before a collision, the object's momentum is conserved since the ground is frictionless. But after the collision, the object's velocity switches direction, yet the magnitude stays the same. In this case, is momentum still conserved? The way I had interpreted is to observe p = mv and if the direction of v changes, then the final vector p is changed. So does momentum change during the collision? If so, does it mean that it's not conserved?

Sorry for making this topic a little longer than I had hoped for.

Thank you in advance for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of momentum permits vector directions and magnitudes to change for individual particles/masses...but the total system momentum remains constant in the absence of external forces. Internal forces, being equal and opposite, produce equal and opposite changes in total momentum which cancel.

Related to Is Momentum Always Conserved in a Collision?

1. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time. In other words, the total momentum of all objects within a system cannot change unless acted upon by an external force.

2. What is an example of conservation of momentum?

An example of conservation of momentum is a billiard ball collision. When one ball collides with another, the total momentum of the two balls before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the momentum of the first ball is transferred to the second ball, and the total momentum of the system remains constant.

3. What are the applications of conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum has many important applications in physics, including understanding the motion of objects in collisions and explosions, calculating the trajectory of projectiles, and explaining the behavior of fluids and gases.

4. What are the differences between conservation of momentum and conservation of energy?

Conservation of momentum and conservation of energy are two distinct principles in physics. While conservation of momentum focuses on the total momentum of a system, conservation of energy focuses on the total energy of a system. Both principles are important for understanding the behavior of objects and systems.

5. Why is conservation of momentum important?

Conservation of momentum is important because it is a fundamental principle that helps us make predictions about the motion of objects and systems. It allows us to understand and quantify the effects of forces and collisions, and it is a key concept in many areas of physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, and astrophysics.