Is materials engineering too narrow?

In summary: in materials engineering, you will work on everything from fuel cells to biomedical devices. the only thing that is "risky" about it is the fact that the field is growing so rapidly and there aren't as many jobs as there are students who want to go into it. the good news is that the field is growing exponentially and there are plenty of opportunities for those who are willing to work hard.
WeeBey
I recently sent in my application for the materials engineering program at McGill University. I was all set on this career path but doubt is beginning to set in. Friends and family have been telling me that materials engineering is a dead-end, that the jobs are few, and growth minuscule. They recommend mainstays such as electrical or mechanical engineering.

What is the sense out there about materials engineering? Am I right to give it a second thought? Mind you, I do have other options. I have also applied to a few environmental and electrical engineering programs throughout Canada. Personally, I'm interested in materials or environmental but I have to seriously consider career outlook. I'm 26 and starting university in September, this is my chance escape the retail rut I've found myself in these last few years; this is my second chance and I don't think there will be third.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was under the impression that Materials Science, especially engineering, was highly in demand. I'm not sure about Canada, though.

I know that, at least in Quebec, prospects for materials engineers is considered good. I think, overall, the prospects in Canada and the US are similar. This is, in part, what drew me to the field.

The problem is that I've since been told, almost unanimously, by the people around me that it's a risky road, that it's too narrow a field and it could be difficult to find work. Better to sticks with the broader and more widely understood disciplines.

Does materials engineering have cycles such as, say, mining is susceptible to? Through my research this wasn't clear. It doesn't seem like it.

FWIW, I was told that by a chemical physics PhD candidate at Harvard. Not sure how much weight that has, but he tells me that aside from being a "cool" field, that it's very high in demand.

I would think Materials Engineering would be of great value in Canada. I'm in the US, where manufacturing is a joke, so mechanical or electrical may be a safer bet. Personally, I'm in mechanical engineering working in HVAC and I've noticed that a LOT of the manufacturing of HVAC equipment is coming out of Canada. These factories are just the one example I've had some exposure to that would definitely need people with a background in materials.

materials science is extraordinarily multidisciplinary. materials scientists work on virtually every major endeavour: in energy, they are responsible for improving the performance of fuel cells, photovoltaics, and looking for more efficient catalysts (and ways to make them, and how to characterize their long-term performance, etc.) ... in structural engineering, they are developing lighter, stronger, tougher materials ... in biomedical studies, they are creating biocompatible drug delivery systems, and this is the tip of the iceberg.

whoever gave you that advice is woefully ignorant.

Related to Is materials engineering too narrow?

Is materials engineering a narrow field?

Materials engineering is a specialized branch of engineering that focuses on the properties, structure, and processing of materials. While it may seem narrow compared to other branches of engineering, it is a broad and diverse field that encompasses a wide range of materials, including metals, ceramics, polymers, and composites.

What is the scope of materials engineering?

The scope of materials engineering includes the development, characterization, and application of materials in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, biomedical, and electronics. It also involves research and development of new materials with improved properties and performance.

What are the career opportunities in materials engineering?

Materials engineering offers a variety of career opportunities, including materials scientist, research and development engineer, quality control engineer, and production engineer. Materials engineers are in high demand in industries such as manufacturing, construction, and energy.

Is materials engineering a growing field?

Yes, materials engineering is a rapidly growing field due to advancements in technology and the increasing demand for new and improved materials. With the rise of sustainable materials and additive manufacturing, the field of materials engineering is expected to continue to expand in the future.

What skills are required for a career in materials engineering?

A strong foundation in math, physics, and chemistry is essential for a career in materials engineering. Additionally, materials engineers should have excellent problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills. Knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) and materials testing techniques is also beneficial.