Is it possible to run as fast as a car?

• Thread starter ARC123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Speed
In summary, a bicycle would be cheating, but there is already hip replacement technology that allows for 360 degree rotation of the legs. Aerodynamic body morphing technology has been around for centuries, but smooshing your baby's head between two boards might get you put in jail nowadays.
ARC123
By run fast I don't mean if the human body can handle it, I mean is there a way to allow a human to reach that speed while running(sort of like the flash)either using some kind of physical or chemical enhancement. Maybe not as fast as a car but some way to increase their max speed without having long legs.

Physics news on Phys.org
A bicycle would be cheating, I suppose? Thing is, a bike does exactly what's need. It enables you to use Gears as a Velocity Magnifier and it provides your muscles with the highest load for a given leg speed (matching). Some equivalent arrangement of levers, fixed to the legs (a bit like blades but using upper and lower limb muscles) could provide velocity magnification but you would need a lot of skill to avoid falling over.

ARC123 said:
By run fast I don't mean if the human body can handle it, I mean is there a way to allow a human to reach that speed while running(sort of like the flash)either using some kind of physical or chemical enhancement. Maybe not as fast as a car but some way to increase their max speed without having long legs.

Good question!

I would call "a bicycle" a physical enhancement.

Cycling speed records [wiki]
The highest speed officially recorded for any human-powered vehicle (HPV) on level ground and with calm winds and without external aids (such as motor pacing and wind-blocks, but including a defined amount of gravity assist) is 133.78 km/h (83.13 mph) set in 2013 by Sebastiaan Bowier in the VeloX3, a streamlined recumbent bicycle.

We already have hip replacement technology. I'm sure that you could design some sort of out of this world, next-gen, hip replacement design that allowed the legs to rotate 360 degrees.

That, along with AT's doping idea, will surely break 100 mph.

ps. There's also aerodynamic body morphing technology that has been around for centuries. But smooshing your babies head between two boards might get you put in jail nowadays. [ref]

Likes 1oldman2 and sophiecentaur
OmCheeto said:
ps. There's also aerodynamic body morphing technology that has been around for centuries. But smooshing your babies head between two boards might get you put in jail nowadays. [ref]
Oh dear!

sophiecentaur said:
Oh dear!
Praying there are no tiger-mom/dads looking at this thread right now...

"So, if I smoosh my baby, to about an inch thick, their aerodynamic profile would get them over 200 mph! Sweet!"

:biggrin:

Related to Is it possible to run as fast as a car?

1. Can a human run as fast as a car?

No, it is not physically possible for a human to run as fast as a car. The average top speed of a car is around 100 mph, while the world record for the fastest human sprinter is 27.8 mph.

2. What factors contribute to a car being faster than a human?

There are several factors that contribute to a car's speed, including its engine power, aerodynamics, and weight. On the other hand, a human's speed is limited by their muscle strength, stride length, and body composition.

3. Can a car theoretically be designed to run as fast as a human?

While it is possible for a car to reach the same speeds as a human, it is not practical. Cars are designed for transportation and have other limitations such as fuel efficiency and safety, whereas humans are specifically adapted for running.

4. How do the speeds of cars and humans compare over long distances?

In a long distance race, humans have the advantage as they can maintain a steady pace for a longer period of time compared to a car. However, over shorter distances, cars will always have the advantage due to their faster acceleration.

5. Can technology be used to enhance human speed to match that of a car?

While technology, such as specialized running shoes and training methods, can improve a human's speed, it is unlikely that it will ever match the speed of a car. Human physiology and the physical limitations of our bodies make it impossible for us to run as fast as a car.