Is it possible to find the tension force without mass?

In summary: I don't have the picture with me, but I can try and find it. I am not sure if it is in the textbook or not, but I will look for it.In Summary,The system to the right has two identical masses. (one is hanging off the ledge of a table, one is on the table, they are connected by a rope.) The coefficients of kinetic and static friction are .54 and .63 respectively. Find the acceleration and the tension in the rope.
Nerdydude101

Homework Statement

The system to the right has two identical masses. (one is hanging off the ledge of a table, one is on the table, they are connected by a rope.) tge coefficients of kinetic and static friction are .54 and .63 respectively. Find the acceleration and the tension in the rope. (No masses are given, just that they are equal, and we ignore the mass of the rope and friction of the pully.[/B]

Homework Equations

I found the acceleration no problem, however the tension force eludes me and my teacher. (I should note that this isn't my homework, it was from another school and someone from there showed it to me. Me and my teacher were very confused and have spent days trying to figure it out.). Is there any way to find the tension force without the need for mass? If there is any way, even beyond what we would have learned by now in AP Physics then please tell me, but if there is a way to do it using just forces and kinematics then even better. Thanks![/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

We've tried breaking down ewuations and everything to find a solution without mass but have not come up with anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it possible to construct any quantity with the units of a force using your input variables?

The only things that are given are the masses are equal, and the friction forces. You also know the gravitational acceleration but that doesn't get s numerical answer, all we could get was F=9.8m but I want a numerical value for the tension force

Yes, that is all you will be able to do. What I am trying to explain is how you can see that it is impossible to get a definite value without knowing the mass.

So what are the units of the following quantities?
The friction coefficients
The gravitational acceleration
The ratio between the masses
The tension in the string

That's what I had been asking, if it was possible to find it. The coefficients of friction are static = .63 and the kinetic = .54, the gravitational acceleration is 9.8m/s^2, ratio between the masses js 1:1, and the tension on the rope is what I have been asking about.

Yes, but what I am asking is whether or not you know which units those quantities are measured in, e.g., acceleration as you say is measured in m/s^2.

Can you show the picture of the system?

Related to Is it possible to find the tension force without mass?

1. What is tension force?

Tension force is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, cable, or other similar object when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends.

2. Can tension force be calculated without knowing the mass?

Yes, tension force can be calculated without knowing the mass. Tension force is directly related to the acceleration of an object and the angle at which the string or cable is pulled. Therefore, if these values are known, the tension force can be calculated using the formula T = ma / sinθ, where T is tension force, m is mass, a is acceleration, and θ is the angle of the string or cable.

3. How is tension force related to weight?

Tension force and weight are not directly related. Tension force is a measure of the force applied to a string or cable, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object. However, tension force can indirectly affect weight by supporting an object and counteracting the force of gravity.

4. Is tension force always equal to the weight of an object?

No, tension force is not always equal to the weight of an object. Tension force is dependent on the acceleration of the object and the angle at which the string or cable is pulled, while weight is dependent on the mass and the force of gravity. Therefore, tension force can be greater or less than the weight of an object.

5. How does tension force affect the motion of an object?

Tension force can affect the motion of an object by either accelerating it or keeping it at a constant speed. If the tension force is greater than the force of gravity, the object will accelerate in the direction of the tension force. If the tension force is equal to the force of gravity, the object will remain at a constant speed. If the tension force is less than the force of gravity, the object will decelerate in the direction of the force of gravity.