Is it possible to exceed the speed of light?

• Thread starter Paul77
  • Start date
In summary, the article points out that the fundamental reason why nothing can exceed the speed of light is because adding speeds only adds tanh-1(speed/c), and so no amount of adding can make (speed/c) equal to (or greater than) 1. Another way to write this is that the constancy of the speed of light is not any more fundamental than the fact that the length of an object doesn't change when you look at it from a different point of view.
Paul77
Have been reading the "Impossibility of exceeding c" notes in the Lorentz Transformation
physics forum page:

www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=19

Where it states:

"It is often said that nothing can be accelerated to the speed of light because its mass increases as it gets faster.

However, the fundamental reason is simply that "adding" speeds only adds tanh-1(speed/c), and so no amount of adding can make (speed/c) equal to (or greater than) 1."

Is this right - I understood that one of the posits of the Lorentz Transformations was that:

Both frames, the transforms are applied to, agree on the speed that a light beam is traveling at, and this is c, as this is required by special relativity.

This restriction was introduced after the results of the Michaelson Moorley interferometer experiment. So when the transforms are derived for frames observing a light beam we have already restricted the transforms to this!

Is'nt the use of rapidities just a re-representation to make it easier to use the transforms?

Physics news on Phys.org
What difference does it make? You can, if you will, take the simple addition of rapidities as your fundamental principle, don't you think?

Last edited:
I agree with dauto, I am not sure what you are asking Paul77. In general there are a lot of different ways that you can write the same thing, and some ways make it easier to see something than others. He is just pointing out a clever way of writing things that makes the conclusion pretty obvious.

I wonder if the article is obliquely referencing the broad consensus that "mass increases" is a deprecated explanation for anything. And rapidity is certainly one of the first things you encounter from a differential geometry/general relativity preserve-the-norm-of-the-four-vector appoach. That at least arguably makes it more fundamental than more-or-less anything else.

Rapidities are a clever way of representing this but when I first came across this article I made the assumption
that c could not be exceeded because of how the maths works but then I watched a derivation of the lorentz transforms and realized that the 'fundemental' reason is that c is assumed to be the same in all frames - as a novice it was worth separating these two things out.

Paul77 said:
Rapidities are a clever way of representing this but when I first came across this article I made the assumption
that c could not be exceeded because of how the maths works but then I watched a derivation of the lorentz transforms and realized that the 'fundemental' reason is that c is assumed to be the same in all frames - as a novice it was worth separating these two things out.

There is more than one way to derive the Lorentz transformations. It may be derived from the requirement that the norm of a four vector is an invariant of the transformations. From that point of view, the constancy of the speed of light is not any more fundamental than the fact that the length of an object doesn't change when you look at if from a different point of view.

Paul77 said:
the 'fundemental' reason is that c is assumed to be the same in all frames
That is true. In the traditional formulation, all relativistic effects are based on two postulates, or assumptions:
1) the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames
2) the speed, c, is the same in all frames

From those assumptions you get the Lorentz transforms and from the Lorentz transforms you get rapidity and rapidity shows that c is the speed limit in an obvious way.

We could simply answer every question with the two postulates, but then the conversation would be boring :smile:

Related to Is it possible to exceed the speed of light?

What is the speed of light (c) and why is it considered a limit?

The speed of light (c) is a universal physical constant that represents the maximum possible speed at which energy, information, or matter can travel in our universe. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is considered a limit because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase infinitely, making it impossible for anything with mass to reach or exceed this speed.

Why is it impossible to exceed the speed of light?

As mentioned, the speed of light is considered a limit because as an object approaches this speed, its mass and energy become infinite. This means that the amount of energy required to accelerate an object with mass to the speed of light is also infinite. Additionally, the laws of physics, particularly Einstein's theory of relativity, dictate that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

Can anything travel at the speed of light?

No, according to our current understanding of physics, nothing with mass can travel at the speed of light. However, particles with no mass, such as photons, can travel at the speed of light.

What happens if an object exceeds the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, it is impossible for an object to exceed the speed of light. However, if this were to somehow happen, it would violate the laws of physics as we know them. The object would have infinite mass and energy, and it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further. This is often referred to as the "Tachyonic Antitelephone" paradox, where information could theoretically be sent back in time if an object were to exceed the speed of light.

Are there any theories or possibilities for exceeding the speed of light?

The concept of exceeding the speed of light is still a subject of ongoing research and speculation in the scientific community. Some theories, such as wormholes or the Alcubierre drive, propose ways to circumvent the laws of physics and potentially travel faster than the speed of light. However, these theories are still hypothetical and have not been proven or tested. At this time, it is widely accepted that the speed of light is a fundamental limit in our universe.