Is it possible to decompose a vector into non-perpendicular components?

In summary, the conversation discusses the decomposition of vectors in two directions to describe motion. It is mentioned that while it may seem logical to decompose the weight or velocity in specific directions, it is possible to choose other directions. This can sometimes make a difficult problem easier, but it can also cause more problems. Ultimately, it is a matter of choice and the motion itself does not change, only the perspective.
physics user1

Homework Statement

[/B]

Homework Equations

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

When I have to describe a motion I'm supposed to decompose a vector in two directions, for example in an inclined plane is decompose the weight in these directions: the normal to the plane and the parallel to the plane, and that seems logic, but could I decompose the weight in other directions? The same thing for the velocity in a parabolic motion, I decompose the velocity in the vertical and the horizontal directions because it is easier but could I describe the motion using other directions?for example the horizontal and another one inclined with the horizontal by an angle different of 90 ?

I think I could because it's a matter of choice, the motions doesn't change, changes just the way you look at it
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
You are free to make these choices. Often you can turn a difficult problem into an easy one by a clever choice of coordinate directions.

Cozma Alex said:

Homework Statement

2. Homework Equations [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
When I have to describe a motion I'm supposed to decompose a vector in two directions, for example in an inclined plane is decompose the weight in these directions: the normal to the plane and the parallel to the plane, and that seems logic, but could I decompose the weight in other directions? The same thing for the velocity in a parabolic motion, I decompose the velocity in the vertical and the horizontal directions because it is easier but could I describe the motion using other directions?for example the horizontal and another one inclined with the horizontal by an angle different of 90° ?

I think I could because it's a matter of choice, the motions doesn't change, changes just the way you look at it
In regard to your last question:
"... for example the horizontal and another one inclined with the horizontal by an angle different of 90° ?"​

You can decompose a vector into two components which are not mutually perpendicular. However, that tends to cause more problems than it solves..

Related to Is it possible to decompose a vector into non-perpendicular components?

What is a vector and how is it different from a direction?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. A direction, on the other hand, only indicates which way something is pointing without specifying a specific magnitude.

How do you choose the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector is typically determined by two points in space, with the vector pointing from the first point to the second point. Alternatively, the direction can also be represented by a unit vector, which has a magnitude of 1 and points in the same direction as the original vector.

What is the difference between a 2D and 3D vector?

A 2D vector exists in a two-dimensional space, with two components (x and y). A 3D vector exists in a three-dimensional space, with three components (x, y, and z). 2D vectors are typically used in flat surfaces, while 3D vectors are used in more complex 3D spaces.

How do you add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you simply add or subtract the corresponding components of each vector. For example, to add two 2D vectors, you would add their x components and their y components separately. To subtract, you would subtract the components in the same manner.

Why are vectors important in science?

Vectors are used in science to represent various physical quantities, such as force, velocity, and acceleration. They allow us to accurately describe and analyze the motion and interactions of objects in space, making them an essential tool in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics.