Is it possible to construct a gauge theory with local ISO(3) symmetry?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the possibility of building a gauge theory with a local ISO(3) symmetry, which is a group composed of three-dimensional rotations and translations. The group is not compact due to the translations, which can lead to problems with ghosts. The individual was looking for a Lagrangian for classical fields that is invariant under local ISO(3), but there were concerns about the translations making it pathological. There was also discussion about the possibility of a Lagrangian that only depends on derivatives of the fields, with the covariant derivative being found by imposing the correct transformation rules under an ISO(3) gauge transformation.
Einj
Hello everyone. Does anyone know if it is possible to build a gauge theory with a local ISO(3) symmetry (say a Yang-Mills theory)? By ISO(3) I mean the group composed by three-dimensional rotations and translations, i.e. if ##\phi^I## are three scalars, I'm looking for a symmetry under:
$$
\phi^I\to O^{IJ}\phi^J,
$$
with ##O^{IJ}\in SO(3)## and under:
$$
\phi^I\to\phi^I+a^I.
$$

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This group is not compact due to the translations. Usually this leads to problems with ghosts.

I don't want to quantize the theory. I'm just looking for a Lagrangian for classical fields invariant under local ISO(3). Is this still pathological?

I think the translation makes it pathological... Take for example the mass term:
[itex] m^2 \phi^2 \rightarrow m^2 (\phi^2 + 2 a \phi + a^2) [/itex]
Maybe you can drop the third term off your Lagrangian, but the second term doesn't seem right... and I don't think there is a way to get rid of it.
If the field is massless, then the kinetic terms work fine with the translations and a term like
[itex] |\partial \phi|^2[/itex] seems fine, as long as [itex]a^I \ne a^I(x)[/itex].
If it's local, then it's pretty similar to a local U(1).

Last edited:
Yes, I'm talking about a Lagrangian that only depends on derivative of the fields in the form ##\mathcal{L}(|D_\mu\phi|^2)##, where the covariant derivative must be found by imposing the right transformation rules under an ISO(3) gauge transformation. In particular, I'm writing an infinitesimal transformation as ##U=1+i\alpha^ap^a+i\beta^aJ^a##, with ##p^a## and ##J^a## being the generators of the shifts and rotations. Do you think this is possible?

Related to Is it possible to construct a gauge theory with local ISO(3) symmetry?

1. What is the Gauge theory of ISO(3) group?

The Gauge theory of ISO(3) group is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of gauge fields and their interactions with matter particles. It is based on the ISO(3) group, which is a mathematical group that represents the symmetries of three-dimensional space.

2. How is the ISO(3) group related to gauge theory?

The ISO(3) group is a key component of gauge theory, as it provides the mathematical structure necessary to describe the interactions between gauge fields and matter particles. The group's transformations determine how the gauge fields change under different symmetries, allowing for a deeper understanding of the underlying dynamics.

3. What are the applications of Gauge theory of ISO(3) group?

The Gauge theory of ISO(3) group has many important applications in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of elementary particles and their interactions. It is also used in other fields such as condensed matter physics, cosmology, and quantum gravity.

4. What are the main principles of Gauge theory of ISO(3) group?

The main principles of Gauge theory of ISO(3) group include local gauge invariance, which states that the laws of physics should be the same at every point in space-time, and gauge symmetry, which refers to the invariance of physical laws under transformations performed by the ISO(3) group.

5. What are the differences between Gauge theory of ISO(3) group and other gauge theories?

The Gauge theory of ISO(3) group is a specific instance of gauge theory, which is a broad mathematical framework used to describe the fundamental interactions of particles. The main difference between the Gauge theory of ISO(3) group and other gauge theories lies in the choice of the symmetry group, which has a direct impact on the underlying physics and predictions of the theory.