Is it possible to calculate the magnetic force between magnets?

In summary: Since μ0 is the magnetic permeability of free space, this means that if the magnets are close together, the field in the airgap will be almost homogenous. So the force on the magnets will be:F = dE/ds , where s is the width of the airgap, and E = Edens * (volume of airgap).This is the force between two magnets.
mohau tshekoeng
Hello
I am a a grade 11 learner and I am trying by all means to calculate force between magnets.
I know that the strength of a magnetic field is determined by the size of the magnet.

Physics news on Phys.org
In general this is a very complicated problem and needs numerical simulations. Sometimes it is possible to get good analytic approximations, but it depends on the setup.

Likes mohau tshekoeng
+1

For some situations the equations have been done for you. Example...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet#Force_between_two_bar_magnets

However I remember reading a comment once on a magnet manufacturers web site. Basically it said that their own experiments suggested such equations rarely matched reality very well. They advised that you may need to do your own experiment if the exact force is important.

CWatters said:
+1

For some situations the equations have been done for you. Example...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet#Force_between_two_bar_magnets

However I remember reading a comment once on a magnet manufacturers web site. Basically it said that their own experiments suggested such equations rarely matched reality very well. They advised that you may need to do your own experiment if the exact force is important.

Magnet manufacturers??
Well one thing for sure is that force is impacted by size,distance at which magnets are placed from one another and velocity...
If a formula can be constructed by those 3 factors there might be progress

The force does not depend on the velocity, unless we are talking about relativistic speeds.
It does depend on the relative orientation between the magnets, and of course on the magnets itself and their distance.

mohau tshekoeng said:
Magnet manufacturers??

I was referring to comments like this...

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/calculator.asp

Many online calculators we've seen determine pull force based on a theoretical calculation of the flux density. With a few assumptions, flux density (in Gauss) can be related to the expected pull force. Unfortunately, this simplification often fails to match experimentally measured data.

This page calculates expected pull forces based on extensive product testing.

mfb said:
The force does not depend on the velocity, unless we are talking about relativistic speeds.
It does depend on the relative orientation between the magnets, and of course on the magnets itself and their distance.

Does this mean I interpreted Lorenz force law in another way??
<Mod note: deleted email addresses>

Last edited by a moderator:
The Lorentz force allows to find the force between a magnet and a moving charge. Your magnets are not moving charges. If you have an electromagnet, then in principle you can apply the Lorentz force to the electrons moving in the conductor - but then you need the speed of the electrons in the object, not the speed of the object itself. A permanent magnet does not have moving charges in the classical sense, so even the approach with internal velocities does not work there.

A magnetic field ( between two magnets ) has an energy density,

Edens= ½ * B * H [ J/m3 ].

If the magnets are close to each other, the magnetic field in the airgap will be almost homogenous. So the force on the magnets will be:

F = dE/ds , where s is the width of the airgap, and E = Edens * (volume of airgap).

In the above line 2, remember that H = B/μ0 ( in air ).

Last edited:

Related to Is it possible to calculate the magnetic force between magnets?

1. Can the magnetic force between magnets be accurately calculated?

Yes, the magnetic force between magnets can be calculated using mathematical equations such as the inverse square law and Coulomb's law.

2. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic force between magnets?

The strength of the magnetic force between magnets is affected by the distance between the magnets, the strength of the magnetic field, and the orientation of the magnets' poles.

3. How do I calculate the magnetic force between two magnets of different sizes?

To calculate the magnetic force between two magnets of different sizes, you will need to know the strength of their individual magnetic fields and the distance between them. Then, you can use the inverse square law to calculate the force.

4. Can the magnetic force between magnets be manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic force between magnets can be manipulated by changing the distance between them, altering the strength of the magnetic field, or changing the orientation of their poles.

5. Is there a way to measure the magnetic force between magnets?

Yes, the magnetic force between magnets can be measured using a gaussmeter or a force gauge specifically designed for measuring magnetic forces. These instruments can provide accurate readings of the force between magnets.