Is it possible for both AB and BA to be identity matrices if m does not equal n?

In summary, it is not possible for both AB and BA to be identity matrices if m does not equal n, as this would imply contradictory properties for the linear maps represented by A and B. This can be seen by considering the equations AB = I and BA = I and their implications for the injectivity and surjectivity of the linear maps.
bologna121121

Homework Statement

Prove in general that if m does not equal n, then AB and BA cannot both be identity matrices, where A is mxn and B is nxm.

Homework Equations

None (that I know of at least).

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought it would be a good idea to define each element in A and B and write out some elements from AB and BA, and hope that I noticed a pattern where I would see something possible only if n=m. This proved very cumbersome and I could not get it to go anywhere.

Next I tried assuming that both AB and BA equaled identity matrices of appropriate dimensions, with the intention of deriving a contradiction, but I was unfortunately unavle to do so.

I appreciate any help, as I really don't know what to try next.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about what the equations AB = I and BA = I imply, in terms of injectivity and surjectivity of the linear maps represented by A and B.

Related to Is it possible for both AB and BA to be identity matrices if m does not equal n?

1. What is the definition of an inverse matrix?

An inverse matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in an identity matrix. In other words, an inverse matrix "undoes" the original matrix.

2. How do you find the inverse of a 2x2 matrix?

To find the inverse of a 2x2 matrix, you can use the following formula:
A-1 = 1/(ad-bc) * [d -b; -c a]
Where a, b, c, and d are the elements of the original matrix A.

3. Is every matrix invertible?

No, not every matrix is invertible. A matrix is only invertible if its determinant (ad-bc) is not equal to 0. If the determinant is 0, the matrix does not have an inverse.

4. What is the significance of an inverse matrix?

An inverse matrix has many applications in linear algebra, including solving systems of linear equations, finding the least squares solution to a system, and calculating the inverse of a linear transformation.

5. Can you find the inverse of a non-square matrix?

No, a non-square matrix does not have an inverse. The inverse of a matrix only exists for square matrices (with the exception of the zero matrix).