Is it Obvious When a Thread is Closed for Replies?

• Thread starter Frabjous
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of threads being closed for moderation and the confusion it can cause for non-members who come across these threads through Google search. The suggestion is made to have locked threads appear in a different color in order to make it clear that they are not open for further replies. It is also noted that new members must agree to the guidelines before posting. The conversation ends with a humorous remark about someone compiling a list of complaints before joining the forum.
Frabjous
Gold Member
It would be nice when one is NOT a member, if it was obvious if a thread was not open for further replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you experiencing a problem?

Usually our threads are open unless they start to go south or get derailed by some other discussion and then we have to close it for moderation to maintain the peace.

Sometimes old threads are closed when people start posting again to the thread. In general, its better to start up a new thread on the same topic. Older threads usually have dated info or past members who no longer post here.

caz said:
It would be nice when one is NOT a member, if it was obvious if a thread was not open for further replies.
But folks who are not members cannot post anyway...

Likes malawi_glenn and Wrichik Basu
berkeman said:
But folks who are not members cannot post anyway...
I'm guessing is that he would like to follow the thread for new posts, or to recheck it periodically, even if he can't post himself.

Someone joined recently and commented about not being able to respond to a thread two minutes after their introductory post. I assume that an old thread inspired the person to join. It seems like a bit of false advertising on PF‘s part, and it is rarely good policy for someone to start off on the wrong foot.

It took me a while to learn to pay attention to dates here.

I think It would be helpful if stale or locked threads were, say, rendered using a different color scheme in place of the usual blue theme to make it obvious.

Likes Wes Tausend and phinds
caz said:
Someone joined recently and commented about not being able to respond to a thread two minutes after their introductory post.
One new member who joined yesterday made the claim "what is the point of a forum if all the topics are closed", a claim that is patently false. I don't know if we're talking about the same person.
caz said:
I assume that an old thread inspired the person to join. It seems like a bit of false advertising on PF‘s part, and it is rarely good policy for someone to start off on the wrong foot.
In the list of threads in a specific forum section, any threads that are locked appear with a lock icon.

Likes malawi_glenn
Mark44 said:
One new member who joined yesterday made the claim "what is the point of a forum if all the topics are closed", a claim that is patently false. I don't know if we're talking about the same person.

In the list of threads in a specific forum section, any threads that are locked appear with a lock icon.
Yes, but if someone arrives at a post via Google search, then he never sees the list of threads, never sees the PF homepage, nor the guidelines, nor the OP in the thread.

Likes malawi_glenn
anorlunda said:
nor the guidelines,
To join to post, they will need to agree to the guidelines/rules.

Likes malawi_glenn
berkeman said:
To join to post, they will need to agree to the guidelines/rules.
I think this OP joined PF just to complain about his PF experience from before he became a member. That's what I get from #1 in this thread. It's convoluted, I know.

Likes malawi_glenn
anorlunda said:
I think this OP joined PF just to complain about his PF experience from before he became a member. That's what I get from #1 in this thread. It's convoluted, I know.
You found me out. I compiled a list of complaints with dates to complain on before joining. I’m a bit surprised it took over 8 years for my plan to be discovered. :wink:

I really don’t think this is poster dependent. It is just an observation that some people might be signing up to comment on threads they cannot comment on and that there might be a simple fix.

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes malawi_glenn and Ophiolite
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation (and possible restoration)...

Likes Wrichik Basu
Posts by the OP have been restored.

@caz -- Please do not delete your posts in your thread after you have received replies.

Update -- thread will remain closed.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Likes malawi_glenn, SammyS, dlgoff and 2 others

Related to Is it Obvious When a Thread is Closed for Replies?

1. Why is the thread not open for replies?

The thread may not be open for replies because it has been marked as "closed" by the thread starter or a moderator. This could be due to the discussion being resolved or the thread being inactive for a certain period of time.

2. Can I still read the thread even though it's not open for replies?

Yes, you can still read the thread even if it's not open for replies. The thread will still be visible on the forum, but you will not be able to post any new replies.

3. How do I know if a thread is open for replies?

A thread that is open for replies will typically have a "reply" button or a text field at the bottom of the thread where you can type your response. If you do not see these options, the thread is most likely not open for replies.

4. Can I request for a thread to be reopened for replies?

It depends on the forum's policies. Some forums may allow you to request for a thread to be reopened, while others may not. It's best to check with the forum's moderators or administrators for their specific guidelines.

5. Is there a way to see the previous replies on a thread that is no longer open?

Yes, you can still view the previous replies on a thread that is no longer open. Simply scroll through the thread to read the existing replies. However, you will not be able to add any new replies to the thread.