Is it legal to pack D2O in luggage for a flight?

• Thread starter mesa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flight
In summary, the conversation discusses the legality of packing about a liter of D2O in a suitcase for an American Airlines flight from Phoenix to Albuquerque. The MSDS for D2O is provided and it is determined that there is no problem with packing it. The TSA's list of prohibited items is referenced, and it is mentioned that larger containers may be carried in the hold at the discretion of the captain. It is recommended to label the bottle with its contents and a phone number in case of any questions during the x-ray inspection. The conversation also briefly mentions the transportation of marijuana and the potential consequences.
mesa
Gold Member
Hey guys, quick question, is it legal to pack about a liter of D2O in my suitcase (for check in baggage) on an American Airlines flight from Phoenix to Albuquerque? I have had surprisingly little luck figuring this out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the MSDS:
http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9923682

I would say there is no problem at all.
If you want, you can contact the airline in advance, but I would just take it.
It's certainly less hazardous than a lap top.

If at all, then the amount (##1 l##) may cause problems. I would contact the airline in any case and ask, because in the end it is their decision as well, not only the official one. It might also be worth asking, whether the cargo compartment is heated or not. Otherwise your bottle or whatever could crash through freezing.

Why not contact the TSA (and AA)? If they make a negative decision, how much weight do you think "but a bunch of guys on the internet said it was okay!" will have?

Likes Lisa! and fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
If at all, then the amount (##1 l##) may cause problems.
That limit is only for carry-on items.
Here is a link to TSA's list of prohibited items:
https://www.seatguru.com/articles/tsa_prohibited_items.php

Items prohibited by TSA in checked baggage are: flares, gun lighters, gun powder, any type of explosive or realistic replica, any flammable liquids or realistic replicas, certain disabling chemicals and dangerous items (airbags, liquid batteries, etc), and marijuana.

Marijuana? Seriously? That's a joke, isn't it?

Edit: I haven't claimed to be prohibited, only that it may cause problems. It will probably be detected and as long as nobody knows what it is, it can cause trouble and eventually to not boarding it.

.Scott said:
and dangerous items (airbags, liquid batteries, etc), and marijuana.
I find it odd they have to specifically mention airbags. Who's bringing airbags onto a flight?

Mondayman said:
Who's bringing airbags onto a flight?
Takata sales-people? :rolleyes:

mesa said:
Hey guys, quick question, is it legal to pack about a liter of D2O in my suitcase (for check in baggage) on an American Airlines flight from Phoenix to Albuquerque? I have had surprisingly little luck figuring this out.
If you can pack water bottles, you can pack D20 in checked baggage.
It's not a controlled transport material by either IATA as a DG( dangerous goods), or by any Dept of Transportation.

Deuterium isn't radioactive, and you are checking it, so I can't imagine they would notice or care. I have brought literal gallons of wine back from California in checked bags and never had a problem, so a single liter of something that looks, smells, and behaves pretty identically to water should be fine. Unless it has some odd X-ray properties that I don't know about that would show up on the scan... That would be a fun game to play... "Sir, why is this water so dense and sweet?"

EDIT: I've tweeted to AskTSA on twitter, they can answer all problems like this

Aircraft holds can get quite cold. Any risk of the Deuterium freezing and bursting it's bottle?

CWatters said:
Aircraft holds can get quite cold. Any risk of the Deuterium freezing and bursting it's bottle?

The flight from Phoenix to Albuquerque is pretty short, it should be fine

Got a reply from the AskTSA. You should be fine to check your D2O

Attachments

• TSA Answer.PNG
    TSA Answer.PNG
    21.3 KB · Views: 409
Containers more than 100ml are not allowed in the cabin
Larger containers may be carried in the hold at the discretion of the captain

Thanks for the tips guys.

I finally managed to get a TSA guy on the phone (easier said than done) and he said to simply label the bottle with its contents, along with 'NON TOXIC' and a phone number in case an agent had any questions. He said it was likely to be searched after x ray inspection, but not to worry about it.

Made it out to NM just fine.

mesa said:
Thanks for the tips guys.

I finally managed to get a TSA guy on the phone (easier said than done) and he said to simply label the bottle with its contents, along with 'NON TOXIC' and a phone number in case an agent had any questions. He said it was likely to be searched after x ray inspection, but not to worry about it.

Made it out to NM just fine.
I'd be worried about how that conversation might go. You might be better off taking it to a priest to have it blessed so you can label it "holy water"!

Likes StatGuy2000, BillTre and gleem
russ_watters said:
I'd be worried about how that conversation might go. You might be better off taking it to a priest to have it blessed so you can label it "holy water"!
I think "heavy water" and a fantasy explanation of what heavyy means would do.

fresh_42 said:
Marijuana? Seriously? That's a joke, isn't it?

As an aside, marijuana in the US is (currently) a Schedule 1 controlled substance, which means that any possession of such a substance is a violation of US federal law. And thus transporting it aboard a plane (since flights between states or overseas fall under federal jurisdiction) is a violation of the law. See the following Wikipedia article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_Substances_Act

StatGuy2000 said:
As an aside, marijuana in the US is (currently) a Schedule 1 controlled substance, which means that any possession of such a substance is a violation of US federal law. And thus transporting it aboard a plane (since flights between states or overseas fall under federal jurisdiction) is a violation of the law. See the following Wikipedia article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_Substances_Act
This might be the case, I just wondered that it has been mentioned. I'm sure there are thousands of illegal substances out there which may not be checked in either. It's just that marijuana in the cargo department definitely does not represent any kind of threat, except that the dogs would go nuts, because probably the entire luggage would be contaminated.

Related to Is it legal to pack D2O in luggage for a flight?

1. Is it legal to pack D2O in luggage for a flight?

It is generally not allowed to pack D2O (deuterium oxide or heavy water) in checked or carry-on luggage for a flight. It is considered a hazardous material and must be declared and properly packaged for air transportation.

2. Is D2O considered a hazardous material?

Yes, D2O is considered a hazardous material due to its potential to cause harm to people or the environment. It is classified as a corrosive substance and can cause burns if it comes in contact with skin or eyes.

3. Can I bring D2O on a flight as a medical or research sample?

Yes, it is possible to bring D2O on a flight as a medical or research sample, but it must be properly labeled and packaged according to the regulations of the airline and the International Air Transport Association (IATA).

4. Are there any restrictions on the amount of D2O that can be packed in luggage for a flight?

The amount of D2O that can be packed in luggage for a flight is limited to 1 liter (or 1 kilogram) per passenger. This is to ensure the safety of the flight and comply with international regulations.

5. Can I pack D2O in my carry-on luggage instead of my checked luggage?

No, D2O is not allowed in carry-on luggage. It must be packed in checked luggage and declared to the airline. Failure to declare D2O may result in penalties or fines.