Is it Appropriate to Ask for Ideas on Mechanism Design?

• Thread starter SteamBC
  • Start date
In summary, SteamBC asks if it's appropriate to pose questions here. People with no formal education are welcome, but questions must relate to physical possibilities.
SteamBC
Hello,

I'm an amateur inventor without a formal mechanical engineering education, and I've been looking for a place where I can pose a question asking for ideas on how to achieve a certain motion, or how to design any mechanism to achieve a given purpose.

I haven't had time to lurk here for any length of time, and I wanted to ask if asking such questions is appropriate here. I don't want to ruffle any feathers, annoy people with my lack of formal education, or disobey the rules, so I thought it would be a good idea to ask.

Thanks for any input!

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming it's not about
a, if a plane can take off from a treadmill
b, if a boat can sail downwind faster than the wind
c, god/astrology/religion/pyramids/your own theory proving that the universe is the shape of a teapot

YES

Last edited:
SteamBC said:
Hello,

I'm an amateur inventor without a formal mechanical engineering education, and I've been looking for a place where I can pose a question asking for ideas on how to achieve a certain motion, or how to design any mechanism to achieve a given purpose.

I haven't had time to lurk here for any length of time, and I wanted to ask if asking such questions is appropriate here. I don't want to ruffle any feathers, annoy people with my lack of formal education, or disobey the rules, so I thought it would be a good idea to ask.

Thanks for any input!

Hi SteamBC, both you and your questions are absolutely welcome here! Review the rules if you like, the link is in the menu bar (they really aren't hard to follow). You'll find people here are very helpful, it doesn't matter if you are a newbie.

When you ask a question it often helps to state what your educational background is, so the people who answer can tailor their answers to your level. Welcome, I hope you like it here!

Ok, I guess I'm on safe ground then. Thanks.

@lisab,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Welcome aboard, SteamBC. Expect your traditional fish-slap soon. :biggrin:
This is, after all, primarily an educational site.
I love seeing questions posed as to how something mechanical can be achieved. While I have no formal education, I've built a lot of stuff and enjoy trying to figure out how to do it. As Mgb mentioned, however, it has to be something that falls within the realm of physical possibility.

To be honest amateur questions are a lot more welcome than some argument about the inner details of some mathematical theorem that none of us understands!

The only real rules are to post homework questions in the correct forum and present some attempt, we can't answer questions where we think you might hurt yourself or others - so no "how do I make a pipe bomb?" or "what thickness of steel beam do I need for a bridge in my country?"

Thanks, guys.

I just removed the pipe bomb from my checklist. ;)

SteamBC said:
Thanks, guys.

I just removed the pipe bomb from my checklist. ;)

:smile:
I think that you're going to fit in just fine.

Awesome!

I'll work on the explosives secretly, just like you guys are doing.

I love the signature - "Full flaps!", LOL.

The questions that seem to cause people without formal education trouble here generally have the form "I don't have any formal education, but I know everything anyway and need to publish my new theory before anyone can steal it from me, how can I do this? Any why are the so-called 'scientists' so close-minded and unwilling to listen to me?"

"I don't have any formal education but could use some help" is always welcomed warmly.

You will find that I'm absolutely dripping with humility.

I'm very proud of that fact! ;)

Seriously, though, I'm here to learn and I'm glad I found this great forum.

Brian

TMFKAN64 said:
The questions that seem to cause people without formal education trouble here generally have the form "I don't have any formal education, but I know everything anyway and need to publish my new theory before anyone can steal it from me, how can I do this? Any why are the so-called 'scientists' so close-minded and unwilling to listen to me?"

"I don't have any formal education but could use some help" is always welcomed warmly.

I hope that this wasn't a snipe aimed at my admission to not having an education. My point in mentioning it frequently is to ensure that nobody mistakes me for an expert in any subject. (With the exception of locks a decade or so back; I was a professional diploma-bearing locksmith for 17 years before I retired.) I do, however, have a "knack" for designing and building mechanical devices. My approach is unlikely to be the most efficient or practical method, but it will work. When you get your parts from recycling depots and whatever is lying around in the basement, "impractical" becomes "practical". It won't be pretty, but it will get the job done.

Related to Is it Appropriate to Ask for Ideas on Mechanism Design?

1. Are amateur questions acceptable in the scientific community?

Yes, amateur questions are absolutely acceptable in the scientific community. In fact, asking questions and seeking knowledge is a fundamental aspect of the scientific process. Scientists often encourage and welcome questions from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of expertise.

2. Will asking amateur questions make me seem unintelligent or inexperienced?

No, asking questions, whether amateur or not, does not make someone unintelligent or inexperienced. It shows a desire to learn and understand, which is highly valued in the scientific community. It is important to remember that everyone starts as an amateur and asking questions is how we gain knowledge and become experts.

3. Can amateur questions lead to groundbreaking discoveries?

Absolutely! Many groundbreaking discoveries in science have been made by individuals who were not considered experts or professionals in their respective fields. Asking questions and thinking outside the box can often lead to new and innovative ideas that can change the course of scientific research.

4. Is it better to ask an amateur question or stay silent and not risk embarrassment?

It is always better to ask a question, no matter how amateur it may seem. Staying silent and not seeking clarification or understanding can hinder your own learning and growth. Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question.

5. How can I ask an amateur question without feeling intimidated or judged?

It is completely normal to feel intimidated or judged when asking a question, especially in a scientific setting. However, it is important to remember that most scientists are open-minded and willing to help others understand. It may also be helpful to do some background research or ask for clarification before asking a question to help build your confidence.