Is it a scalar product? I'm kind of lost

In summary, the vector B makes an angle of 45° with vector A, and it lies in the first quadrant of the xy plane. This can be determined from the fact that the magnitudes of the cross product and the dot product of the two vectors are equal, and using the formula |AxB| = |A| |B| sin(theta) and |A.B| = |A| |B| cos (theta). By solving for theta, it is found that θ = 45°, and since vector A is at a 17° angle counterclockwise from the positive x axis, the angle that vector B makes with the positive x axis must be between 45°
Dan350

The Vector A points 17° counterclockwise from the positive x axis. Vector B lues in the first cuadrant of the xy plane. The magnitudes of the cross product and the dot product are the same:
i.e, |AXB|= |A(times)B|
What Angle does B make with the positive x axis?

2. Is ti a scalar product? I'm kind of lost

3. I was thinking of using cos(σ)= (AtimesB)/ (|A||B|)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Dan350! :smile:

The dot product and the scalar product (of two vectors) are the same thing. :wink:

(and are both written A.B not AtimesB)

The magnitude of the cross product is |AxB| = |A| |B| sin(theta)
The magnitude of the dot product is |A.B| = |A| |B| cos (theta).

What does this tell you when they are equal?

CompuChip said:
The magnitude of the cross product is |AxB| = |A| |B| sin(theta)
The magnitude of the dot product is |A.B| = |A| |B| cos (theta).

What does this tell you when they are equal?

Is A condition given in the problem,
How do I reach this problem?

Look at what CompuChip is saying.

The magnitude of the cross product is |A||B|sin(theta). The scalar yielded by the dot product is |A||B|cos(theta).

You know they are equal. So what does that say about theta?

1MileCrash said:
Look at what CompuChip is saying.

The magnitude of the cross product is |A||B|sin(theta). The scalar yielded by the dot product is |A||B|cos(theta).

You know they are equal. So what does that say about theta?

I'm not quite sure, does that mean that they are 90° apart?

or that I can substitute vector "A" bye sin(17)??

Dan350 said:
I'm not quite sure, does that mean that they are 90° apart?

solve the equations! :rolleyes:

show us how you do it :smile:

tiny-tim said:
solve the equations! :rolleyes:

show us how you do it :smile:

So I have

|AxB|sinθ= |A*B|cosθ

Well since they are giving that Vector A is 17 counter clockwise form the x-axis that meas is Acos(17) and vector B is , well I'm stuck there,, wouldn't that be vector Bsin(73)?

Dan350 said:
|AxB|sinθ= |A*B|cosθ

no, it's …
CompuChip said:
|A| |B| sin(theta)
|A| |B| cos (theta).

ok, you have two equations, and you want to solve for one unknown (the angle, θ) …

show us how you do it​

tiny-tim said:
no, it's …

ok, you have two equations, and you want to solve for one unknown (the angle, θ) …

show us how you do it​

|A| |B| sin(theta)= |A| |B| cos(theta)

sinθ=cosθ
sin^-1(cosθ)=θ

We know cosθ=cos(17)
so θ= 73
Am I right?

Dan350 said:
We know cosθ=cos(17)

where does that come from?? :confused:
sinθ=cosθ
sin^-1(cosθ)=θ

how does that help?

sinθ=cosθ … if you can't think of a way of solving it, draw a diagram or a graph

tiny-tim said:
where does that come from?? :confused:

how does that help?

sinθ=cosθ … if you can't think of a way of solving it, draw a diagram or a graph

I thought that since is counterclockwise form the x axis,, is going to be cos(17)
and I solved for theta in "sin^-1(cosθ)=θ"

I drew it, i only have my Vector A 17 raising counterclockwise form the x axis,, the vector B is inthe same cuadrant

Any clue?

Thanks

no, just draw sinθ = cosθ, and then solve it

At what angle does sinθ = cosθ, you know that at cos(0) = 1 and sin(0) = 0, and cos(90) = 0, sin(90) = 1, so since they are continuous functions, you can estimate at what θ they will be =.

Dan350 said:
|A| |B| sin(theta)= |A| |B| cos(theta)

sinθ=cosθ
sin^-1(cosθ)=θ

We know cosθ=cos(17)
so θ= 73
Am I right?

You're confusing two angles.
The question asks you to find the angle B makes with the positive x axis. The angle θ in |A.B| = |A| |B| cos(θ) and |AxB| = |A| |B| sin(θ) is the angle between A and B. So, first find θ (which will not involve the 17 degrees), then use θ and the 17 degrees to find the angle B makes with the positive x axis.

haruspex said:
You're confusing two angles.
The question asks you to find the angle B makes with the positive x axis. The angle θ in |A.B| = |A| |B| cos(θ) and |AxB| = |A| |B| sin(θ) is the angle between A and B. So, first find θ (which will not involve the 17 degrees), then use θ and the 17 degrees to find the angle B makes with the positive x axis.

So for sinθ=cosθ the angle will be 45°
Now how do I find angle B using the 17°??

tiny-tim said:
no, just draw sinθ = cosθ, and then solve it

that's equal to 45°

Dan350 said:
that's equal to 45°

correct :smile:

(btw, the quickest way of solving that would be sinθ = cosθ, so tanθ = 1, so θ = 45°)

ok, so the angle θ is 45° …

between what and what is θ the angle?​

tiny-tim said:
correct :smile:

(btw, the quickest way of solving that would be sinθ = cosθ, so tanθ = 1, so θ = 45°)

ok, so the angle θ is 45° …

between what and what is θ the angle?​

How did I miss that! haha

and for the other part, isn't between 45° and 17° ?? we are know looking for VEctor B

Dan350 said:
… isn't between 45° and 17° ?? we are know looking for VEctor B

i think i know what you mean, but that doesn't actually make sense, does it? :redface:

an angle is between two lines

what are the lines? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
i think i know what you mean, but that doesn't actually make sense, does it? :redface:

an angle is between two lines

what are the lines? :smile:

Vector A and B ?

Dan350 said:
and for the other part, isn't between 45° and 17° ?? we are know looking for VEctor B

You are told:
The Vector A points 17° counterclockwise from the positive x axis.
So 17° is the angle between which two lines?
You have found that 45° is the angle between A and B. So what possibilities are there for the angle B makes to the positive x axis?

You are also told
Vector B lies in the first quadrant of the xy plane.
Which of the possibilities does that select?

haruspex said:
You are told:

So 17° is the angle between which two lines?
You have found that 45° is the angle between A and B. So what possibilities are there for the angle B makes to the positive x axis?

You are also told

Which of the possibilities does that select?

So,, if we add 45° to the 17° we get 62° for vector B, and 45° will be between vectors A & B,,

am I right?

Dan350 said:
So,, if we add 45° to the 17° we get 62° for vector B, and 45° will be between vectors A & B,,

am I right?

Yes!

(just got up :zzz:)

yes :smile:

but suppose it didn't say …

Vector B lies in the first quadrant of the xy plane.

… do you then know how to show that it must be 62° (and not minus 28°) ? :wink:

Related to Is it a scalar product? I'm kind of lost

1. What is a scalar product?

A scalar product, also known as a dot product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and returns a single number as the output. It is used to measure the similarity between two vectors and is an essential concept in linear algebra.

2. How is a scalar product calculated?

To calculate a scalar product, you multiply the corresponding components of the two vectors and then add all the products together. This can be represented as a mathematical formula: A · B = |A||B|cosθ, where A and B are the two vectors and θ is the angle between them.

3. What are the properties of a scalar product?

There are several properties of a scalar product, including commutativity, distributivity, and associativity. These properties make it a versatile and useful operation in various mathematical and scientific applications.

4. How is a scalar product different from a vector product?

A scalar product results in a scalar quantity (a single number), while a vector product results in a vector quantity (a quantity with both magnitude and direction). Additionally, the mathematical operations used to calculate these products are different.

5. In what fields is a scalar product commonly used?

A scalar product has many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used in mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics, as well as in computer graphics and machine learning algorithms.