Is Hot Ice Possible? | Learn About Water Solid State Limits

• Thread starter SW VandeCarr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot Ice
In summary, the conversation discusses the upper limit of temperature at which water can exist in a solid state, even under increasing pressure. It mentions various "ice" phase states, such as VII and X, which can remain solid up to 600K under high pressures. The concept of a "proton ordered" state is also mentioned. The conversation then delves into theoretical discussions about the maximum pressure and the potential for water to go metallic or become a superionic state. The idea of a "fluid dense plasma" forming at 20,000K in Jupiter's core is also brought up, as well as the possibility of a metallic state of water with ammonia. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexities and ongoing research surrounding the solid state of
SW VandeCarr
I'm curious about about an upper limit of temperature at which water can no longer exist in a solid state even as pressure increases. There are "ice" phase states such as VII and X which are apparently solid up to 600K under pressures over 10^9 Pa. Phase X is called a "proton ordered" state. Is there some theoretical temperature where the solid state can no longer be maintained despite increasing pressure short of that of a plasma?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice See sec 7 phase state chart.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SW VandeCarr said:
I'm curious about about an upper limit of temperature at which water can no longer exist in a solid state even as pressure increases. There are "ice" phase states such as VII and X which are apparently solid up to 600K under pressures over 10^9 Pa. Phase X is called a "proton ordered" state. Is there some theoretical temperature where the solid state can no longer be maintained despite increasing pressure short of that of a plasma?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice See sec 7 phase state chart.

These are just some first impression thoughts.
1.How does one distinguish between the solid state and a super compressed liquid the mobility of the particles being restricted by the pressure and the structure being amorphic?
Drawing an analogy to gas liquification one clue that liquification occurs is the appearance of a meniscus.
2.I don't think the graphs showing the phase states are particularly well presented,for example it is not clear that the line rising to the left of the triple point has a negative gradient.
3.Is there a theoretically maximum pressure?

Answer to 3: yes, at most the point at which it gets crushed to be a neutron star

There was a http://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRevB.79.054107" on this just earlier this year.

Depends all on what you mean by 'solid state'. I think the current theory is that it can go metallic, and then 'superionic'. But at the moment it's all down to theoretical calculations.

Last edited by a moderator:
alxm said:
There was a http://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRevB.79.054107" on this just earlier this year.

Depends all on what you mean by 'solid state'. I think the current theory is that it can go metallic, and then 'superionic'. But at the moment it's all down to theoretical calculations.

Thanks for the link alxm. It surprised me that water forms a "fluid dense plasma" at 20,000K with pressures in Jupiter's core. I thought a plasma state of some kind might exist, but 20,000K seems like a low temperature for a plasma. However I guess that a very dense plasma is a different story then tenuous gas plasmas at several million K.

When you say "metallic", what happens to the oxygen? I can see solid hydrogen as a metal, but the oxygen would need to be expelled or form some kind hydrogen "rust" (oxide), wouldn't it? In that case, the oxide, but not the metal would be some kind of water ice.

EDIT: Since the abstract also states that water ice may be superionic in Saturn (and Saturn is not much smaller than Jupiter), it may be that the highest temperature where water ice can exist, before becoming a plasma, is that of the superionic state (under 20000K at 10^11 -10^12 Pa).

alxm said:

axlm

It looks like you're right about a metallic state of water (with ammonia).

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/283/5398/44

EDIT: I guess this state would be some kind of metal-oxide-metal state (where hydrogen is the metal) for water?

Related to Is Hot Ice Possible? | Learn About Water Solid State Limits

1. What is hot ice and how is it different from regular ice?

Hot ice, also known as sodium acetate trihydrate, is a supercooled liquid that solidifies at room temperature. It is different from regular ice because it is able to maintain its solid state at a higher temperature.

2. Is hot ice a naturally occurring substance?

No, hot ice is not naturally occurring. It is a synthetic substance that is created through the process of supercooling a solution of sodium acetate and water.

3. How hot can hot ice get?

Hot ice can reach temperatures up to 130 degrees Fahrenheit (54 degrees Celsius) before it starts to melt. However, the exact temperature may vary depending on the concentration of the solution and external factors such as pressure and impurities.

4. Is hot ice dangerous to handle?

No, hot ice is not dangerous to handle as it is non-toxic and non-corrosive. However, it can cause minor burns if it comes into contact with skin when it is at its hottest temperature.

5. What are the potential uses of hot ice?

Hot ice has various potential uses such as in hand warmers, heating pads, and instant ice packs. It can also be used in certain chemical reactions and as a heat source for cooking or warming food.