Is high pressure differential always a bad thing?

In summary, high pressure differential is generally considered a bad thing because it can lead to wasted energy, heat, vibrations, and decreased lifespan of equipment. However, for certain equipment such as strainers/filters, a high pressure differential can be a desired characteristic to indicate clogging. In the case of control valves, a high pressure differential is necessary for precise control, although it can also lead to issues such as limited flow control accuracy and potential for cavitation and flashing. In addition, pressure differential is also important for keeping solenoid valves closed and for making pumps work.
Ask1122
Hi all, was thinking about this the other day. Is high pressure differential always a bad thing?
Please correct me if i am wrong, but from the way I understand, high pressure differential is bad because if you have a high pressure differential across a piece of equipment (valve, pump, fitting etc...), it means that some of the pressure energy are probably converted into heat and vibrations, which will effect your equipment lifespan.
But for something like strainers/filters, wouldn't a high pressure differential be actually a desired characterisitc?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A high delta P across a filter or a strainer is how you tell if they are clogged and not operating properly. So no, you do not want a high delta P across them. Think of it this way, if you take a big drop across something, that is wasted energy. There are times you want a significant delta P, for example, an orifice plate. You need to have a somewhat sizeable drop across the plate to have meaningful pressure measurements for your flow calculations.

A high pressure differential across a turbocharger is what makes it work...

Good point Brews.

A high pressure differential across a control valve is necessary for precise control.

russ_watters said:
A high pressure differential across a control valve is necessary for precise control.

Can you please elaborate on that? I thought that it's the other way around, that the high delta P is the side effect of the control valve when the valves are in a throttling position?

When you close a control valve, the pressure drop goes up, yes (obviously). But what if it didn't go up much? If you close a valve 99% of the way and the pressure drop doesn't go up noticeably because the valve is way too big, you won't have changed the flow much either. Then in the last 1% of valve travel, you'll completely shut off the flow. If your valve position accuracy is 1%, your flow control accuracy is plus or minus abouot 100%.

pressure differential also is what keeps may solenoid valves closed. If you turn them around, they leak, because the pressure lifts the seat.
pressure differential is also what makes pumps pump.

dr

dr dodge said:
pressure differential also is what keeps may solenoid valves closed. If you turn them around, they leak, because the pressure lifts the seat.
pressure differential is also what makes pumps pump.

dr
I'm not so sure of that. Can you provide an example? In my work, the piloted solenoid valves I have seen use the upstream system pressure to keep the valve closed or to provide opening motive force. I can't say I have ever heard of one that relies on the delta P for this. Most solenoids are limited on the delta P they can take across them. Maybe I am just looking at them in different way.

EDIT: I guess, after thinking about it a little more, there is the need for the low side to set up your force balance in the valve. So you are correct. Never mind.

russ_watters said:
When you close a control valve, the pressure drop goes up, yes (obviously). But what if it didn't go up much? If you close a valve 99% of the way and the pressure drop doesn't go up noticeably because the valve is way too big, you won't have changed the flow much either. Then in the last 1% of valve travel, you'll completely shut off the flow. If your valve position accuracy is 1%, your flow control accuracy is plus or minus abouot 100%.
You will be forced to run a valve that is too big in that last few percent open range which will also probably lead to very high velocities through the valve, which lead to high losses and possible cavitation and flashing in the valve. The controlability will be shot because very small valve movements will have large effects. Not a good place to be indeed.

Related to Is high pressure differential always a bad thing?

1. What is high pressure differential?

High pressure differential refers to the difference in pressure between two points in a system or container. It is measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

2. Why is high pressure differential considered a bad thing?

In some cases, high pressure differential can lead to undesirable effects such as leaks, equipment failure, or safety hazards. It can also cause inefficiency in a system and increase operating costs.

3. Can high pressure differential be beneficial?

Yes, high pressure differential can be beneficial in certain scenarios. For example, in hydraulic systems, a high pressure differential is necessary for the system to function properly and generate enough force to operate machinery.

4. How do you measure high pressure differential?

High pressure differential can be measured using pressure gauges or transducers. These instruments are designed to accurately measure and display the difference in pressure between two points in a system.

5. How can high pressure differential be controlled or reduced?

High pressure differential can be controlled or reduced through various methods, such as installing pressure regulators or relief valves, using larger pipes or valves, and properly maintaining and calibrating equipment. It is important to consult with a professional engineer to determine the best approach for a specific system.