Is Google's Conversion from Cubic Centimeters to Cubic Meters Incorrect?

• Thread starter Frangelo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Google
In summary, the conversation is about the use of scientific e notation for displaying and entering very large or small numbers. The conversation also touches on the confusion that can arise from different notations and the convenience of using e notation due to its availability on standard keyboards. It is also mentioned that this notation is not encouraged in publications, but it remains a widely used and convenient method for working with numbers.
Frangelo
Check it out: https://www.google.com/search?q=cubic+cm+to+cubic+m

According to my math, 1 cubic centimeter equals 1x10-7 cubic meters not 1x10-6 cubic meters.

Is is my calculator broken, or is this why Hubble telescope is near-sighted?

Attachments

• googlewrong.png
    googlewrong.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 525
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can you show your math?

Frangelo said:
Is is my calculator broken?
It probably works just fine. It's most likely operator error.

Make your calculator to calculate (10-2)3. The answer should be 10-6.

cubic cm x cube with dimensions 100cm x 100cm x 100cm = 1,000,000. So cubic cm is 1/1,000,000 cubic m.

1x10e-6 = .00001. 1/1,000,000 is either 1 x 10e-7, or 1e-6, but not 10e-6, right?

1x10e-6 = .00001. 1/1,000,000 is either 1 x 10e-7, or 1e-6, but not 10e-6, right?
You're getting confused by notation.

The notation "AeN" means "Ax10N".

Google did not use this notation, because it is confusing and should be avoided. Google wrote, correctly, 1.0 x 10-6. You misinterpreted that to mean "10e-6," but really it means "1e-6".

Likes 1 person
May thanks. Got it!

eigenperson said:
Google did not use this notation, because it is confusing and should be avoided.
It is something you can't avoid. I certainly wouldn't want to enter 6.0221×1023 into a calculator by entering 602210000000000000000000. Yech! It's much easier to enter 6.0221 * 1023 as a calculation, but easier yet is to enter it is 6.0221e23. Regardless of which approach one uses to enter that number, it will be displayed as 6.0221e23 (or 6.0221E23 on a TI).

The same applies to data entered into or read from a computer program. Scientific e notation is ubiquitous. It's almost impossible to avoid it, and it is not confusing once one learns it.

Still it is maybe easy to misinterpret for those not used to it. That fact that 10e-6 = 10-5 is well, confusing to the newbie. If the issue is its hard to type superscripts, I'd vote for how excel does it, 10^-6.

Interestingly the Wikipedia article on the subject said " The use of this notation is not encouraged in publications".

Frangelo said:
Still it is maybe easy to misinterpret for those not used to it. That fact that 10e-6 = 10-5 is well, confusing to the newbie. If the issue is its hard to type superscripts, I'd vote for how excel does it, 10^-6.
Excel displays very large and very small numbers using scientific e notation. You can also enter data into Excel using that notation.

Every notation can be misinterpreted. e notation is well established and perfectly unambiguous.

e notation could be made better if people could come up with a unique symbol to replace e.

Frangelo said:
Interestingly the Wikipedia article on the subject said " The use of this notation is not encouraged in publications".
1.234 * 1056 (with a proper multiplication sign) is preferred, indeed. For publications, the time to write numbers does not matter. If you want to type numbers in a calculator, things are different.

Khashishi said:
e notation could be made better if people could come up with a unique symbol to replace e.
e notation is convenient because all necessary characters are found on standard keyboards, and there is no special text formatting, eg. superscripts for the exponents.

If by "unique symbol" you mean something that is not found on standard keyboards, then that would defeat the purpose of this notation.

Really, once you learn it, e notation is not a big deal.

Redbelly98 said:
e notation is convenient because all necessary characters are found on standard keyboards

Including the keypunch devices that were the only way of interacting with computers back when FORTRAN was invented... Which is, I believe, where the notation came from.

Related to Is Google's Conversion from Cubic Centimeters to Cubic Meters Incorrect?

1. Is Google math really wrong?

Google math is not inherently wrong, but it can sometimes provide incorrect or misleading results. This is because Google uses algorithms and machine learning to generate answers, and these algorithms can make mistakes or misinterpret the query.

2. How accurate is Google math?

The accuracy of Google math can vary depending on the complexity and context of the query. For simple calculations, it is usually very accurate, but for more complex or ambiguous queries, it may provide inaccurate results.

3. Why does Google math sometimes give wrong answers?

As mentioned before, Google math uses algorithms and machine learning to generate answers, and these algorithms can make mistakes or misinterpret the query. Additionally, Google may also rely on third-party sources for information, which can also contribute to incorrect results.

4. Can I trust Google math for important calculations?

It is generally not recommended to rely on Google math for important calculations, as it is not always accurate. It is always best to double-check the results or use a more reliable source for important calculations.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of Google math?

Unfortunately, there is no guaranteed way to improve the accuracy of Google math. However, being more specific and clear in your query can help reduce the chances of getting incorrect results. It is also a good idea to double-check the results with a calculator or other reliable source.