Is Gamma Ray Emission from a Black Hole Really Possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between gamma rays and black holes, with the speaker struggling to understand how gamma rays can come out of a black hole when photons have no mass and black holes absorb light. They also mention the potential impact of gamma rays on the mass around a black hole and seek further information on the topic.
Vebjorn
I just can't comprehend that gamma ray can come out of a black hole. Gamma rays are electromagnetism which contain photons, but photons have no mass. And we all know that a black hole swoops up light as well. And what recaton has the gamma ray on the mass around the black hole? I know It's true, we all know, but there's something I'm leaving out here. But what?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
First, it doesn't 'come out' of black hole. It comes from the accretion disk which is 'outside' the black hole.

I'm not sure about the effect it has on mass around, though this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-ray_burst_emission_mechanisms" might help in some way. Please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Is Gamma Ray Emission from a Black Hole Really Possible?

1. What are gamma rays?

Gamma rays are a type of electromagnetic radiation with the highest energy and shortest wavelength in the electromagnetic spectrum. They are produced by the most energetic objects and events in the universe, such as supernovae explosions, black holes, and the Big Bang.

2. How are gamma rays produced by black holes?

Gamma rays are produced by black holes through a process called accretion. As matter falls into a black hole, it heats up and releases a tremendous amount of energy in the form of gamma rays. This process is accelerated by the extreme gravitational pull of the black hole, causing the material to move at nearly the speed of light.

3. Can gamma rays from a black hole harm us?

Yes, gamma rays from a black hole can be harmful to living organisms, but fortunately, they are blocked by Earth's atmosphere. However, if a black hole were to form nearby, it could pose a significant danger to our planet and its inhabitants.

4. How do scientists detect gamma rays from black holes?

Scientists use specialized telescopes, such as NASA's Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope, to detect gamma rays from black holes. These telescopes are equipped with detectors that can measure the energy and direction of incoming gamma rays, allowing scientists to study the properties of black holes and their surrounding environments.

5. What can we learn from studying gamma rays from black holes?

Studying gamma rays from black holes can provide valuable insights into the physics of these enigmatic objects. By analyzing the properties of gamma rays, scientists can determine the size, shape, and activity of a black hole, as well as the physical processes occurring around it. This information can help us better understand the role of black holes in the evolution of galaxies and the universe as a whole.