Is Finding Thévenin's Equivalent Just Calculating Rth and Vth?

• Thread starter Crutchlow13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary, the Thévenin's equivalent is calculated by taking into account the internal resistance and finding the Rth and Vth values. In a voltage divider, Vth should be equal to half of v1.
Crutchlow13

Homework Statement

Find the Thévenin's equivalent.
SF1s5J7.png

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm not sure if I need to take into account the internal resistance. And also, is finding thévenin's equivalent just calculating Rth and Vth?

I'm really lost sorry.
Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Crutchlow13 said:
I'm not sure if I need to take into account the internal resistance. And also, is finding thévenin's equivalent just calculating Rth and Vth?
Yup, the internal resistance of the battery counts. Rth and Vth are what you're after.

Thanks, do you think I got it?

Attachments

• New Doc 2.pdf
    255.7 KB · Views: 180
Crutchlow13 said:
Thanks, do you think I got it?
Your Rth looks good, but something went wrong with your final calculation of Vth. If you look at the resistors in the voltage divider you'd expect to see Vth = 1/2 of your v1...

Oh my god that was super silly.. Thanks gneill!

Related to Is Finding Thévenin's Equivalent Just Calculating Rth and Vth?

What is Thévenin's Equivalent?

Thévenin's Equivalent is a method used in circuit analysis to simplify complex circuits into an equivalent circuit with a single voltage source and a single resistance. This allows for easier analysis and calculation of circuit variables.

How is Thévenin's Equivalent calculated?

The Thévenin's Equivalent is calculated by determining the open-circuit voltage (Voc) and the equivalent resistance (Req) of the circuit. The equivalent circuit is then formed by connecting a voltage source with value Voc and a resistor with value Req in series.

What is the purpose of Thévenin's Equivalent?

The purpose of Thévenin's Equivalent is to simplify complex circuits into a simpler equivalent circuit that is easier to analyze and calculate. This method is often used in circuit design and analysis to determine the behavior of a circuit without having to analyze the entire circuit in detail.

What are the limitations of Thévenin's Equivalent?

Thévenin's Equivalent is only applicable to linear circuits, meaning that the components in the circuit must follow Ohm's Law. It also assumes that the circuit is in a steady-state condition and does not take into account any time-varying behavior.

How can Thévenin's Equivalent be verified experimentally?

Thévenin's Equivalent can be verified experimentally by using a multimeter to measure the open-circuit voltage and the short-circuit current of the circuit. The equivalent resistance can then be calculated by dividing the open-circuit voltage by the short-circuit current. The calculated values should match the theoretical values of Voc and Req from Thévenin's Equivalent formula.