Is dn = dS = 0 when two phases are equilibrium?

In summary: Then the combined system is at equilibrium if and only if its entropy is maximal. And if the entropy is maximal, then the sub-systems must be individually at equilibrium. That last step is the tricky one.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of thermodynamic equilibrium and its relationship to phase equilibrium. The group agrees that phase equilibrium is a subset of thermodynamic equilibrium, and that a system is in thermodynamic equilibrium if and only if its entropy is at a maximum. The conversation also touches on the conditions for a system to be in equilibrium, including constant internal energy, volume, and particle number.
Philethan
Hello, every one! I'm studying the Section 9.2 - Phase Equilibrium of "Classical and Statistical Thermodynamics" written by Carter.

In equation (9.21) and (9.22)

He said:

[itex]dS_{A}=\frac{1}{T_{A}}(dU_{A}+P_{A}dV_{A}-\mu _{A}dn_{A})[/itex]-----(9.21)

[itex]dS_{B}=\frac{1}{T_{B}}(dU_{B}+P_{B}dV_{B}-\mu _{B}dn_{B})[/itex]-----(9.22)

I think dS and differentials of all other state variables should be zero! That is, dSA=dSB=dnA=dnB=dVA=dVB=...=0

Is it correct? If it's correct, then I cannot get the following conclusions which needs to assume those increments dUA,dVA,dnA,... could be arbitrary.

TA = TB (thermal equilibrium)
PA = PB (mechanical equilibrium)
μA = μB (diffusive equilibrium)

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
No, why should these differential be constant?

DrDu said:
No, why should these differential be constant?
It's due to the definition of equilibrium. In other words, if those macroscopic state variables are not constant, then it's not at equilibrium.
For example, if the color of the solution is changing, then it's not at equilibrium.

I don't know why I was wrong..

But e.g. you can have a mixture of ice and water and even if some of the ice is melting (i.e. both the amount of ice and water is changing), the two are in equilibrium.

Likes Philethan
Really? Even if some of the ice is melting, the two are still in equilibrium?
So... What's the definition of equilibrium? It seems that the exact definition of equilibrium is "the system is at equilibrium if and only if its entropy is a maximum".

Is that correct?

Thank you very much :)

I think DD is straying somewhat. A phase equilibrium is not enough for a thermodynamic equilibrium: matter and energy can still flow macroscopically.
So I'm siding with PhE post #5.
However, physics isn't a democratic thingy, so if someone knows better, I'm eager to be put right !

Likes Philethan
BvU said:
I think DD is straying somewhat. A phase equilibrium is not enough for a thermodynamic equilibrium: matter and energy can still flow macroscopically.
I'd rather say that phase equilibrium is a special case of thermodynamic equilibrium.

Philethan said:
Really? Even if some of the ice is melting, the two are still in equilibrium?
At equilibrium, the system is insensitive to changes in particle number of the two phases.

So... What's the definition of equilibrium? It seems that the exact definition of equilibrium is "the system is at equilibrium if and only if its entropy is a maximum".

Is that correct?

Thank you very much :)
This depends on the system. Is it thermally isolated or constant temperature, constant volume or constant pressure. E.g. at constant temperature and pressure, free enthalpy has to be maximal, not entropy. Which case is your book considering?

We aren't making progress here if I rather say that thermodynamic equilibrium is a special case of phase equilibrium, namely phase equilibrium plus constant P, U, G, A, H, S etc... :smile:

I don't know what you have in mind, but in equilibrium thermodynamics (I suppose we are talking about this) we are considering only thermodynamic equilibrium states. E.g. considering the state diagram of water as a function of p and T, there is one line where both phases are in equilibrium. In this sense, phase equilibria are a subset of thermodynamic equilibria.

DrDu said:
in equilibrium thermodynamics (I suppose we are talking about this) we are considering only thermodynamic equilibrium states
Somewhat circular, to me that seems.

The 'subset' issue is a matter of language, it seems to me. I think we agree: phase equilibrium isn't thermodynamic equilibrium, but thermodynamic equilibrium is phase equilibrium.

(The "fruit isn't orange but orange is fruit" comes to mind. For me that makes oranges a subset of fruit. Not the other way around).

Yet another approach: there are a lot more phase equilibria than thermodynamic equilibria. A TE is a PE with some extra restrictions. So TE is a subset of PE.

DrDu said:
considering the state diagram of water as a function of p and T, there is one line where both phases are in equilibrium
If a system is moving back and forth over this line where both phases are in equilibrium, I can not consider that system to be in thermodynamic equilibrium: T changes. [edit] woops, V changes.

Last edited:
Philethan said:
It seems that the exact definition of equilibrium is "the system is at equilibrium if and only if its entropy is a maximum".
This is true if the system is isolated and there is also no work done on the overall system. Then it is clear that ##dU_B=-dU_A##, ##dV_B=-dV_A## and ##dn_B=-dn_A## as total internal energy, volume and particle number of the two phases taken together is constant. As total S is maximal, we can write ##0=\partial S/\partial U_A=1/T_A-1/T_B##, so that ##T_A=T_B##. Analogous equations hold for p and ##
mu##.

DrDu said:
This is true if the system is isolated and there is also no work done on the overall system. Then it is clear that ##dU_B=-dU_A##, ##dV_B=-dV_A## and ##dn_B=-dn_A## as total internal energy, volume and particle number of the two phases taken together is constant. As total S is maximal, we can write ##0=\partial S/\partial U_A=1/T_A-1/T_B##, so that ##T_A=T_B##. Analogous equations hold for p and ##
mu##.
Yes. I think this is more like what the original question was getting at. The idea is to look at the combined system in a situation where the combination is isolated.

Likes BvU

Related to Is dn = dS = 0 when two phases are equilibrium?

1. What is the meaning of "dN = dS = 0" in the context of two phases being in equilibrium?

In this context, "dN" refers to the change in the amount of substance of a particular component, while "dS" refers to the change in entropy. When both of these quantities are equal to zero, it means that there is no net change in the amount of substance or entropy between the two phases, indicating that they are in a state of equilibrium.

2. How is "dN = dS = 0" related to the concept of chemical potential?

The concept of chemical potential is closely related to "dN = dS = 0" in the context of equilibrium between two phases. Chemical potential is a measure of the energy required to add a unit of substance to a system at constant temperature and pressure. When "dN = dS = 0," it means that the chemical potential of the substance is the same in both phases, indicating equilibrium.

3. Can "dN = dS = 0" be applied to all types of equilibrium in chemistry?

No, "dN = dS = 0" specifically applies to equilibrium between two phases, such as a solid and liquid phase or a liquid and gas phase. Other types of equilibrium, such as chemical equilibrium between reactants and products, have different conditions and equations that must be satisfied.

4. What happens if "dN = dS = 0" is not satisfied in a system with two phases?

If "dN = dS = 0" is not satisfied, it means that the two phases are not in equilibrium. This could result in a net transfer of substance between the phases or a change in entropy, indicating that the system is not at a stable state. In order to reach equilibrium, the system must satisfy "dN = dS = 0."

5. How does "dN = dS = 0" relate to phase diagrams?

Phase diagrams are graphical representations of the equilibrium between different phases of a substance at different temperatures and pressures. When "dN = dS = 0" is satisfied, it indicates that the system is at a point on the phase diagram where the two phases are in equilibrium. By examining the phase diagram, one can determine the conditions at which "dN = dS = 0" will be satisfied and the system will be at equilibrium.

Back