Is complex momentum density possible?

In summary: But \overline{u(p)} and \overline{u(p')} are complex numbers, and so the energy tensor will be complex as well. Have fun!In summary, the momentum density of a free Dirac wavefunction can be complex, and is defined as the momentum divided by the fermion density.
blue2script
Hello!

Just a short question: I am currently calculating the momentum density of a free dirac wavefunction under boost. However, I get some complex density - can this happen or will it be a mistake on my side?

Thanks for your comments!
Blue2script

PS: In some forum there was a note that momentum density is derived from the real Lagrangian. What does that mean? I just took the momentum density given from the energy-momentum tensor of the normal Dirac Lagrangian.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not completely sure what the context is, but I think you want to get some distributionfunction of the momenta p, i.e. [itex]\Psi(p)[/itex]. The function itself can be complex, since when you calculate what the chance is of some outcome you always use the absolute squared function, [itex]|\Psi(p)|^2[/itex]. The argument p is, ofcoure, real-valued.

So yes, it is possible.

Thank you xepma for your answer! I guess I was just dump. I wanted to calculate the momentum density of a wavefunction that solves the dirac equation (in my context meaning [tex]\Psi\left(x\right)[/tex]). From the free Dirac equation you can calculate the energy-momentum density [tex]T^{\mu\nu}[/tex]. Integrating [tex]T^{00}[/tex] over the whole space gives you the energy E of the wavefunction, integrating the 0i components gives you the momentum, and so on. However, sure the momentum density can be complex, but the integral over all the space has to be real again. That's just what happens to me if I get my [tex]i[/tex]'s right. So I was just blind and dump.

Anyway, thanks again!
With very best regards,
Blue2script

Hmmm... now I ran into another problem: how would you define the momentum density of a non-normalizable wavefunction? Consider for example the plane wave solutions of the free Dirac equation, [tex]\psi\left(x\right) = u\left(p\right) e^{ipx}[/tex] (in one dimension). They have momentum p and energy [tex]E = \sqrt{p^2 + m^2}[/tex]. However, these modes are not normalizable since the density of these modes is just constant in space. How can one then define a suitable momentum density whose integral over the space yields [tex]p[/tex]?

I would be very happy about an answer! Thanks!
Blue2script

Ok, forget it again, think I got it. It is just the momentum density divided by the fermion density. Anyway, thanks for reading!

Hi. You can show that the energy tensor should always be real. You just have to remember that [tex]\overline{u(p)}u(p)=a real number [/tex], and that [tex]\gamma_{\mu}p^{\mu}u(p)=\pm mu(p) [/tex]. When you linearly expand the field in fourier-series, bilinears where p and p' different are sumed in conjugates, and where p and p' are the same are just real numbers.

Last edited:

Related to Is complex momentum density possible?

What is complex momentum density?

Complex momentum density is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the distribution of momentum of a particle. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the momentum, and is represented using a complex-valued function.

How is complex momentum density different from regular momentum density?

Regular momentum density only takes into account the magnitude of momentum, while complex momentum density also includes the direction of the momentum. This allows for a more accurate description of the particle's behavior, especially in quantum systems where the direction of momentum can be uncertain.

What is the significance of complex momentum density in quantum mechanics?

Complex momentum density is an important tool in quantum mechanics as it allows for a more complete description of a particle's momentum distribution. It is particularly useful in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum systems, where the traditional laws of classical mechanics do not apply.

How is complex momentum density measured in experiments?

Complex momentum density cannot be directly measured in experiments, as it is a mathematical concept. However, it can be calculated from experimental data using mathematical techniques and compared to theoretical predictions to validate quantum mechanical models.

Can complex momentum density be negative?

Yes, complex momentum density can have negative values. This is because it is a complex-valued function and the magnitude and direction of momentum can vary. Negative values do not necessarily indicate a negative momentum, but rather a different direction of momentum compared to the average value.