Is Burt Rutan the Cray of aeronautics?

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aeronautics
In summary: Rutan is more of a crusader [probably a brilliant one] for the cutting edge; more of a technical daredevil than most. Its a lot easier to do things when you actually try.In summary, Rutan is an outstanding aeronautical engineer with a unique flair for the dramatic. However, his outstanding engineering skills and vision more than make up for his little artistic quirk.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Having just watched a video of the flight into the upper atmosphere of his new plane launched rocket, one has to wonder if he will be able to pass his design instincts and flair to others? Or are his abilities unique so die with him(whenever that may be)? Is this like the Cray supercomputer which was the result of the genius of Cray?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is more an example of the innovative power of free enterprise. We just need to get this out of the Government's hands and turn all of the genuines lose [within limits of course]. I see Rutan as more a crusader [probably a brilliant one] for the cutting edge; more of a technical daredevil than most. Its a lot easier to do things when you actually try.

My personal opinion of him is that he's an outstanding engineer, but he's got a little too much flair for the dramatic. Take the little portholes on SpaceshipOne - it looks kinda neat, but it has to piss off the pilot. Reminds me of an architect...

But his outstanding engineering skills and vision more than make-up for his little artistic quirk.

Is Burt Rutan the Cray of aeronautics?

Having just watched a video of the flight into the upper atmosphere of his new plane launched rocket, one has to wonder if he will be able to pass his design instincts and flair to others? Or are his abilities unique so die with him(whenever that may be)? Is this like the Cray supercomputer which was the result of the genius of Cray?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hate to say it but i think he is the present day Michel or Barns wallis,
unhampered by financial constraints as they were, he has the genius
to accomplish almost anything in aeronautics, can he teach others
to follow him, i doubt it these men are one offs.

Related to Is Burt Rutan the Cray of aeronautics?

1. Is Burt Rutan considered the Cray of aeronautics?

Yes, Burt Rutan is often referred to as the Cray of aeronautics due to his innovative and groundbreaking designs in the field of aviation.

2. What makes Burt Rutan stand out in the field of aeronautics?

Burt Rutan is known for his unconventional and out-of-the-box approach to aircraft design. He has created several revolutionary aircraft designs that have pushed the boundaries of what was previously thought possible.

3. What are some of Burt Rutan's notable achievements in aeronautics?

Burt Rutan's most notable achievements include designing the first privately funded spacecraft, SpaceShipOne, which won the Ansari X Prize in 2004. He also designed the Voyager aircraft, which was the first plane to fly around the world without stopping or refueling.

4. How has Burt Rutan's work impacted the field of aeronautics?

Burt Rutan's work has greatly influenced and advanced the field of aeronautics. His innovative designs have paved the way for new technologies and techniques to be used in aircraft design, making air travel safer and more efficient.

5. What is Burt Rutan currently working on in the field of aeronautics?

Currently, Burt Rutan is working on developing a new aircraft design called the SkiGull, which is a hybrid aircraft that can take off and land on both water and land. He is also involved in designing and developing new space vehicles for private space companies.