Is Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang the Right Math Book for You?

In summary, "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang is a unique book that teaches mathematics from the perspective of an advanced mathematician. It covers topics such as real numbers, solving equations, logic, geometry, trigonometry, functions, complex numbers, induction, and determinants. The book focuses on proofs and logic as the foundation of mathematics and provides a different approach to learning the subject. Although there may be some errors and the writing style may take some getting used to, this book is highly recommended for both beginners and those looking to improve their understanding of mathematics. Another recommended alternative is "Numbers and Geometry" by John Stillwell.

For those who have used this book

• Total voters
  • Author: Serge Lang
  • Title: Basic Mathematics
  • Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387967877/?tag=pfamazon01-20
  • Prerequisities: Mathematics before high school
  • Level: Motivated high-school students, college students
  • Contents: Real numbers, solving equations, logic, geometry, trigonometry, functions, complex numbers, induction, determinants

Table of Contents:
Code:
[LIST]
[*] Algebra
[LIST]
[*] Numbers
[LIST]
[*] The integers
[*] Rules for addition
[*] Rules for multiplication
[*] Even and odd integers; Divisibility
[*] Rational numbers
[*] Multiplicative inverse
[/LIST]
[*] Linear equations
[LIST]
[*] Equations in two unknowns
[*] Equations in three unknowns
[/LIST]
[*] Real numbers
[LIST]
[*] Additions and multiplication
[*] Real numbers: positivity
[*] Powers and roots
[*] Inequalities
[/LIST]
[*] Quadratic equations
[*] On logic and mathematical expressions
[LIST]
[*] On reading books
[*] Logic
[*] Sets and elements
[*] Notation
[/LIST]
[/LIST]
[*] Intuitive Geometry
[LIST]
[*] Distance and Angles
[LIST]
[*] Distance
[*] Angles
[*] The Pythagoras Theorem
[/LIST]
[*] Isometries
[LIST]
[*] Some standard mappings of the plane
[*] Isometries
[*] Composition of Isometries
[*] Inverse of isometries
[*] Characterization of isometries
[*] Congruences
[/LIST]
[*] Area and application
[LIST]
[*] Area of a disc of radius [itex]r[/itex]
[*] Circumference of a circle of radius [itex]r[/itex]
[/LIST]
[/LIST]
[*] Coordinate Geometry
[LIST]
[*] Coordinates and geometry
[LIST]
[*] Coordinate systems
[*] Distance between points
[*] Equation of a circle
[*] Rational points on a circle
[/LIST]
[*] Operations on points
[LIST]
[*] Dilatations and reflections
[*] Addition, subtraction, and the parallelogram law
[/LIST]
[*] Segments, Rays, and Lines
[LIST]
[*] Segments
[*] Rays
[*] Lines
[*] Ordinary Equation for a Line
[/LIST]
[*] Trigonometry
[LIST]
[*] Radian measure
[*] Sine and cosine
[*] The graphs
[*] The tangent
[*] Addition formulas
[*] Rotations
[/LIST]
[*] Some Analytic Geometry
[LIST]
[*] The straight line again
[*] The parabola
[*] The ellipse
[*] The hyperbola
[*] Rotation of hyperbolas
[/LIST]
[/LIST]
[*] Miscellaneous
[LIST]
[*] Functions
[LIST]
[*] Definition of a function
[*] Polynomial functions
[*] Graphs of functions
[*] Exponential function
[*] Logarithms
[/LIST]
[*] Mappings
[LIST]
[*] Definition
[*] Formalism of mappings
[*] Permutations
[/LIST]
[*] Complex Numbers
[LIST]
[*] The complex plane
[*] Polar form
[/LIST]
[*] Induction and Summations
[LIST]
[*] Induction
[*] Summations
[*] Geometric Series
[/LIST]
[*] Determinants
[LIST]
[*] Matrices
[*] Determinants of order [itex]2[/itex]
[*] Properties of [itex]2\times 2[/itex] determinants
[*] Determinants of order [itex]3[/itex]
[*] Properties of [itex]3\times 3[/itex] determinants
[*] Cramer's rule
[/LIST]
[/LIST]
[*] Index
[/LIST]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This book is truly one of a kind. This is a book on basic mathematics, written from the point-of-view of an advanced mathematician. Do not expect many plug-and-chug exercises that just drill the method into you. Do not expect silly notions such as "it is important to rationalize the denominator", it is not. What you should expect is a book that teaches what mathematics really is about. It teaches proofs and logic as a foundation of mathematics.
However, Lang's style of writing is a bit weird, it takes some time to get used to it. The book does contain some (typographical) errors, but if you are aware of this then this shouldn't bother much.

Likes MAAntonius
I went through most of this book due to MicroMass's recommendation a little while ago, and really enjoyed my first introduction to real mathematics, and not the garbage I was/am being taught in middle/high school.

The basic topics covered doesn't necessarily mean that the book will be easy; this was my first introduction to proofs, and to trying to create my own (which I often failed at doing). However, even if I knew most of the material already (like that a negative number multiplied by a negative number results in a positive number), I had never known the reasoning behind why this was true. The logical approach presented taught me a different, more effective way to learn mathematics. Lang even has an entire section (somewhere after chapter 3, I think) where he simply covers logic and some notation, to help the reader get a better grasp of the idea.

I highly recommend this book for either someone who has not learned any of the material covered yet, but wishes for a great introduction, or to someone who has covered most of this material already (like I had), but recognizes that their understanding of that material is shoddy at best, and would like to learn them with more rigor.

Just great!

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Is Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang the Right Math Book for You?

1. What is "Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang"?

"Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang" is a textbook that covers the fundamental concepts of mathematics, such as algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. It is commonly used in high school and college courses.

2. Who is Serge Lang?

Serge Lang (1927-2005) was a French-American mathematician who made significant contributions in the field of mathematics, particularly in number theory and algebraic geometry. He also wrote numerous textbooks, including "Basic Mathematics".

3. Is "Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang" is designed as an introductory textbook for students who are new to mathematics. It starts with basic concepts and gradually builds upon them, making it suitable for beginners.

4. What topics are covered in "Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang"?

The textbook covers a wide range of topics, including basic arithmetic, algebraic expressions, equations and inequalities, geometry, functions, and calculus. It also includes exercises and examples to help students apply the concepts they have learned.

5. Is "Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang" still relevant in today's world of technology?

Yes, the concepts taught in "Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang" are still relevant and important in today's world. Many modern technologies and industries, such as computer science, engineering, and finance, rely heavily on mathematical principles covered in this textbook.