Is Analyzing |a(n)-a(n-1)| Sufficient for Monotonic Cauchy Sequences?

In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of monotonic sequences and their convergence to a limit. It is mentioned that for Cauchy sequences, every term after a certain point must be analyzed, but for monotonic sequences, the difference between consecutive terms can be studied. The conversation also touches on using computer programs to find limits numerically, but it is noted that without additional information, the future differences between terms cannot be accurately predicted. The possibility of a function having multiple bumps before approaching a limit is also discussed. Overall, the conversation emphasizes the importance of considering all factors when analyzing the convergence of a sequence.
FallenApple
If I have monotonic sequence, would it suffice to analyze |a(n)-a(n-1)| as n gets large? I know for Cauchy sequences, you have to analyze every term after N, but for monotonic sequences that are also Cauchy, can you just analyze the difference between consecutive terms?

Physics news on Phys.org
Analyse in order to deduce what? Convergence to a limit? If a sequence is monotonic the easiest way to prove it converges is usually to show that it is bounded above and then use the monotone convergence theorem.

Likes FallenApple
andrewkirk said:
Analyse in order to deduce what? Convergence to a limit? If a sequence is monotonic the easiest way to prove it converges is usually to show that it is bounded above and then use the monotone convergence theorem.

I'm writing a computer program to show convergence. Say the function is f(n)=n/(n+1). Now we know that the limit is 1. But its kinda cheating to use that knowledge in the program since that somewhat defeats to purpose of finding the limit numerically, so I just run the iterations up until the difference between consecutive terms is less than some threshold.

Then I return the iteration number and the current term of the sequence to see how fast it converges and get an approximation of the limit.

I suppose my reasoning is if a continuous function were to approach a limit, has to be concave down(or concave up depending), hence a sequence embedded in that function would have decreasing absolute differences between consecutive terms as n increases without bound.

FallenApple said:
I suppose my reasoning is if a continuous function were to approach a limit, has to be concave down(or concave up depending), hence a sequence embedded in that function would have decreasing absolute differences between consecutive terms as n increases without bound.
They will eventually decrease but, without additional info, we cannot conclude anything from current differences about bounds on future differences. A function may appear to be asymptotically approaching a limit from above but then bump up significantly before finally approaching a limit.

eg consider

$$f(x)=e^{-x} + e^{-\frac{(x-1000)^2}2}$$
which has a Gaussian bump centred at ##x=1000## in what is otherwise an asymptotic, concave-up, slide towards a limit of 0 as ##x\to\infty##.

Even more pathological functions could be created that bump up infinitely many times. One possibility may be:
$$g(x)=
e^{-x} + \sum_{k=1}^\infty e^{-\frac{(x-k\cdot 1000)^2}2}$$
I have not proven that the function is well-defined, although I suspect it is.

if the sequence is cauchy, then it is convergent and that does not need to be checked further. if you do not know the sequence is cauchy, then i do not see how to check this computationally; i.e. even if it is monotone, the successive differences do not need to be monotone, and even if they are, the sequence does not need to converge (1, 1+1/2, 1+1/2+1/3, 1+1/2+1/3+1/4,...). and even if the sequence does converge, and the successive differences are monotone, there is no number small enough, so that once the differences get that small, you know how close you are to the limit. I.e. you could know that at some point all later successive differences are less than 1/1000,000,000,000, and still the limit could be a billion larger than your current estimate.

Related to Is Analyzing |a(n)-a(n-1)| Sufficient for Monotonic Cauchy Sequences?

1. What is a monotonic sequence?

A monotonic sequence is a sequence of numbers that either continuously increases or decreases. This means that each term in the sequence is either larger or smaller than the previous term.

2. What are the limits of a monotonic sequence?

The limit of a monotonic sequence is the value that the sequence approaches and gets closer to as the terms increase or decrease. This limit can either be a finite or infinite value.

3. How do you determine the limit of a monotonic sequence?

To determine the limit of a monotonic sequence, you can observe the pattern of the sequence and see where the terms are approaching. You can also use mathematical formulas, such as the limit definition or the squeeze theorem, to calculate the limit.

4. Can a monotonic sequence have more than one limit?

No, a monotonic sequence can only have one limit. This is because the terms in the sequence are continuously getting closer to one specific value, and cannot approach multiple values at the same time.

5. What is the importance of studying the limits of monotonic sequences?

The limits of monotonic sequences are important in mathematics as they help us understand the behavior of sequences and their patterns. They also have practical applications in fields such as economics, physics, and computer science.