Is an Avocado Shaped Like an Airfoil?

In summary: I Think it would work pretty well.In summary, the conversation discussed whether an avocado could be considered an airfoil and if the pit should be left in for the best shape. The consensus was that an avocado does have the necessary properties to function as an airfoil, and the pit should be left in for the best curve. Further research was suggested, including looking at NASA lifting bodies for comparison. The conversation also clarified that generating lift is a requirement for an airfoil.
airvocados2122894

Homework Statement

Hi everyone. Is an avocado technically an air foil? like if you cut an avocado in half, it wold be the right shape right? see and if so, would you leave the pit in or not? Why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty sure that they are. I am giving a presentation, so I would really appreciate some input!

Physics news on Phys.org
airvocados2122894 said:

Homework Statement

Hi everyone. Is an avocado technically an air foil? like if you cut an avocado in half, it wold be the right shape right? see and if so, would you leave the pit in or not? Why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty sure that they are. I am giving a presentation, so I would really appreciate some input!
Welcome to the PF.

What have you learned about airfoils so far? What properties are important for a shape being a good airfoil? What basic principals are involved?

BTW, can you use Google Images to find some experimental planes that have a similar shape to what you are asking? Hint -- look at NASA lifting bodies... :smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

What have you learned about airfoils so far? What properties are important for a shape being a good airfoil? What basic principals are involved?

BTW, can you use Google Images to find some experimental planes that have a similar shape to what you are asking? Hint -- look at NASA lifting bodies... :smile:
Ok, I looked at lots of diagrams, and I'm pretty sure it is. Thoughts?

airvocados2122894 said:
Ok, I looked at lots of diagrams, and I'm pretty sure it is. Thoughts?
You go first... :smile:

berkeman said:
You go first... :smile:
like I said, I'm like 99% sure that they are. After consulting multiple sources, I think I am correct, but I would like to obtain even more outside input.

airvocados2122894 said:
like I said, I'm like 99% sure that they are. After consulting multiple sources, I think I am correct, but I would like to obtain even more outside input.
What about your avocado pit question?

berkeman said:
What about your avocado pit question?
I Think you would need to leave the pit into get the proper curve.

Does your airfoil need to generate lift? You haven't actually said if generating lift is a requirement.

CWatters said:
Does your airfoil need to generate lift? You haven't actually said if generating lift is a requirement.
apologies. Yes generating lift would be necessary

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

I'm going take that as a yes. the NASA lifting bodies are really similar

Related to Is an Avocado Shaped Like an Airfoil?

1. What is an airfoil and how does it work?

An airfoil is a shape that is designed to produce lift when moving through a fluid, such as air. It works by creating a difference in air pressure on the top and bottom surfaces, with lower pressure on top and higher pressure on the bottom. This pressure difference creates an upward force, or lift, which allows an object, such as an airplane, to stay in the air.

2. What factors affect the lift and drag of an airfoil?

The lift and drag of an airfoil are affected by a number of factors, including its shape, size, angle of attack, and speed. The shape of the airfoil is particularly important, as a curved shape on top and a flatter shape on the bottom is what creates the pressure difference and thus the lift. The angle of attack, or the angle at which the airfoil meets the airflow, also plays a role in determining the lift and drag forces.

3. How do airfoils differ from each other?

Airfoils can differ in a number of ways, including their shape, size, and purpose. Some airfoils are designed for high lift, while others are designed for low drag. Airfoils can also vary in terms of their thickness and curvature, which affects their performance in different conditions. Additionally, the angle of attack and speed at which the airfoil is moving can also impact its performance.

4. What are some applications of airfoil physics?

Airfoil physics has many practical applications, particularly in the fields of aviation and aerodynamics. Understanding how airfoils work is crucial for designing efficient and safe aircraft, as well as for optimizing the performance of vehicles such as cars and boats. Additionally, airfoil principles are also used in wind turbines, propellers, and even sports equipment like golf clubs and tennis rackets.

5. How has our understanding of airfoils evolved over time?

Our understanding of airfoil physics has evolved greatly over time, thanks to advances in technology and research. Early experiments with airfoils were conducted by scientists such as Sir George Cayley and Otto Lilienthal in the 19th century. However, it wasn't until the 20th century that researchers, such as Ludwig Prandtl and Theodore von Kármán, made significant breakthroughs in understanding and predicting airfoil behavior. Today, with the help of computer simulations and wind tunnel testing, we have a much deeper understanding of the complex physics behind airfoils.