Is a(x,y,z) = (2ax,2ay,2az) a Vector Space?

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining whether the set of all (x,y,z) with ordinary addition and scalar multiplication defined by a(x,y,z) = (2a,2ay,2az) is a vector space or not. The addition axioms hold easily, but there are doubts about the validity of the scalar multiplication axioms. It is mentioned that the text states it is not a vector space due to the failure of scalar multiplication, but it is unclear if that is a valid reason. There is also a mention of proving that multiplication by 1 gives the desired result, but the conversation ends with confusion about what the actual problem entails.
stunner5000pt
decide whether this is a vector space or not
a(x,y,z) = (2ax,2ay,2az)

all the addition axoims hold easily
for the scalar multiplications axioms
for some real scaral a
[tex] a(x,y,z) = (ax,ay,az) \in 2(ax,ay,az) [/tex]
[tex] a(x_{1}+x_{2},y_{1}+y_{2},z_{1}+z_{2}) = a(x_{1},y_{1},a(z_{1}) + a(x_{2},y_{2},a(z_{2}) \in (2ax,2ay,2az) [/tex] this doesn't seem to hold because it would only be possible if the wo vecotrs being added were not distinct.

[tex] (a+b)(x,y,z) = (ax+bx,ay+by,az+bz) \in (2az,2ay,2az) [/tex]

[tex] a(bx,by,bz) = (ab)(x,y,z) [/tex] this would seem t ohold if b was 2... not not anytrhing else? Not sure here?

multiplcation by 1 gives us what we want. so the last axiom holds
i can post hte axioms if u want

my text says it is not a vector space because of the failure of scalara multiplication where i have stated the doubts mysefl. Are those hte valid reasons for that??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
stunner5000pt said:
a(x,y,z) = (2ax,2ay,2az)

what the hell are x,y,z, or a?

stunner5000pt said:
a(x,y,z) = (2ax,2ay,2az)

all the addition axoims hold easily
for the scalar multiplications axioms
for some real scaral a
[tex] a(x,y,z) = (ax,ay,az) \in 2(ax,ay,az) [/tex]
[tex] a(x_{1}+x_{2},y_{1}+y_{2},z_{1}+z_{2}) = a(x_{1},y_{1},a(z_{1}) + a(x_{2},y_{2},a(z_{2}) \in (2ax,2ay,2az) [/tex] this doesn't seem to hold because it would only be possible if the wo vecotrs being added were not distinct.

[tex] (a+b)(x,y,z) = (ax+bx,ay+by,az+bz) \in (2az,2ay,2az) [/tex]

[tex] a(bx,by,bz) = (ab)(x,y,z) [/tex] this would seem t ohold if b was 2... not not anytrhing else? Not sure here?

multiplcation by 1 gives us what we want. so the last axiom holds
i can post hte axioms if u want

my text says it is not a vector space because of the failure of scalara multiplication where i have stated the doubts mysefl. Are those hte valid reasons for that??
a(x,y,z)= (2ax,2ay,2az) doesn't make sense. Are you asked to show that the set of all (x,y,z) with ordinary addition but scalar multiplication defined by a(x,y,z)= (2a,2ay,2az) is a vector space?

HallsofIvy said:
a(x,y,z)= (2ax,2ay,2az) doesn't make sense. Are you asked to show that the set of all (x,y,z) with ordinary addition but scalar multiplication defined by a(x,y,z)= (2a,2ay,2az) is a vector space?

that is what i am asked to prove

Multiplication by must send v to v, ie 1.v=v for all v in the space.

stunner5000pt said:
that is what i am asked to prove

I don't believe for a moment that your problem says exactly
"decide whether this is a vector space or not a(x,y,z) = (2ax,2ay,2az)"
There isn't even a set that could be a vector space there!

Related to Is a(x,y,z) = (2ax,2ay,2az) a Vector Space?

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects called vectors, which can be added together and multiplied by scalars (usually real numbers). These operations follow certain rules and properties, such as closure, commutativity, and associativity.

2. What properties must a set have to be considered a vector space?

A set must have the following properties to be considered a vector space:

• Closure under vector addition and scalar multiplication
  • Commutativity of vector addition
  • Associativity of vector addition
  • Existence of an additive identity (the zero vector)
  • Existence of additive inverses for each vector
  • Distributivity of scalar multiplication over vector addition
  • Distributivity of scalar multiplication over scalar addition
  • Compatibility of scalar multiplication with field multiplication

3. Is the set of all 2x2 matrices a vector space?

Yes, the set of all 2x2 matrices is a vector space. It satisfies all the properties of a vector space, such as closure, commutativity, and associativity. Additionally, it has an additive identity (the zero matrix) and additive inverses for each matrix. Scalar multiplication is also well-defined for matrices, making it compatible with field multiplication.

4. Can a vector space have an infinite number of vectors?

Yes, a vector space can have an infinite number of vectors. The number of vectors in a vector space is not limited by any specific number or range, as long as they satisfy the properties of a vector space.

5. What is the importance of vector spaces in science and mathematics?

Vector spaces are an essential concept in science and mathematics because they provide a powerful and flexible way to represent and manipulate data, equations, and physical quantities. They are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics, to name a few.