Is a thread best read backwards?

• Thread starter PIT2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary, Some people prefer to read threads backwards, from the last post to the first, when they cannot be bothered to read the first replies and want to get to the main point quickly. Surprisingly, this method can sometimes help in understanding people's points better and faster. There are also some interesting advantages to reading threads backwards, such as being able to challenge your mind and seeing the transformation of seemingly nonsensical comments into meaningful ones. However, this may not be the preferred method for everyone, as reading threads forwards can also have its own benefits. Ultimately, the best way to read a thread is subjective and dependent on personal preference.
PIT2
Sometimes i find myself reading threads backwards (from the last post to the first). I do it mainly when i can't be bothered to read the first replies and want to skip to the real action.

Amazingly when i do this, i understand peoples points better and quicker than i would do otherwise!

Physics news on Phys.org
The only reason I'm writing this is to move the number of posts above 1 so that it can be read backwards.

So was the movie "Memento" your favorite?

!nalp ruoy deliof evah I

dav2008 said:
!nalp ruoy deliof evah I

Haha read backwards... literally - funny :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I can't be bothered reading the first posts so i don't care what this threads about

PIT2 said:
Sometimes i find myself reading threads backwards (from the last post to the first). I do it mainly when i can't be bothered to read the first replies and want to skip to the real action.

Amazingly when i do this, i understand peoples points better and quicker than i would do otherwise!

Actually, that can be true. In forums, it is not unusual to come across comments which seem to make no sense, such as mine :)
As the thread developes, often there is clarification on prior comments. Reading backwards, the original "non-sense" comment can become strikingly transformed into "sense"; an attribute not available by reading "forwards" one time.

Another curious aspect of reading forums "backwards" is that your mind challenges itself! That is, a last post comment to a previous post may not include actual reference to that previous post, so you mind say's "what's going-on here!" That can be quite stimulating.

I always read the thread killer's thread backwards. You can't read it forwards like Danger does. :-p

Related to Is a thread best read backwards?

1. What is the purpose of reading a thread backwards?

The purpose of reading a thread backwards is to start from the most recent comment or post and work your way back to the beginning. This allows you to see the most relevant and up-to-date information first.

2. Is it better to read a thread backwards or forwards?

It ultimately depends on personal preference and the nature of the thread. Reading backwards can be helpful for staying updated, but reading forwards may provide a better understanding of the progression of the discussion.

3. How does reading a thread backwards affect comprehension?

Reading a thread backwards may make it more difficult to understand the context and flow of the conversation. It may also cause confusion if important details or background information are mentioned in earlier posts.

4. Does reading a thread backwards save time?

In some cases, reading a thread backwards may save time as you can quickly skip over older or less relevant posts. However, it may also take longer to piece together the overall conversation if you are not familiar with the topic.

5. Are there any benefits to reading a thread backwards?

One potential benefit of reading a thread backwards is that it allows you to see how the discussion has evolved over time. It can also help you to stay updated on new developments or information that may have been added since you last read the thread.