Is a Spring Constant of 0.005 N/m Plausible for a Spider's Web?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a spring constant of .005 N/m and whether it is an acceptable value. The problem also involves a spider's web vibrating at a frequency of 1.0 Hz and the calculation of the effective spring constant for the web. The questioner also seeks help with entering the answer into Webassign and getting the correct number of significant figures.
metalmagik
I received a spring constant on the problem below to be .005 N/m.

I was wondering if this was even possible? When I got the frequency in the next part of the question, the frequency made sense, but i never thought a spring constant could come out to be so small.

A small fly of mass 0.13 g is caught in a spider's web. The web vibrates predominately with a frequency of 1.0 Hz.

(a) What is the value of the effective spring constant k for the web?

(b) At what frequency would you expect the web to vibrate if an insect of mass 0.54 g were trapped?

So is .005 N/m an acceptable spring constant? Thanks to anyone who responds.

Physics news on Phys.org
metalmagik said:
I received a spring constant on the problem below to be .005 N/m.

I was wondering if this was even possible? When I got the frequency in the next part of the question, the frequency made sense, but i never thought a spring constant could come out to be so small.

A small fly of mass 0.13 g is caught in a spider's web. The web vibrates predominately with a frequency of 1.0 Hz.

(a) What is the value of the effective spring constant k for the web?

(b) At what frequency would you expect the web to vibrate if an insect of mass 0.54 g were trapped?

So is .005 N/m an acceptable spring constant? Thanks to anyone who responds.
Any spring constant is possible. It appears you have done the calculation correctly.

ah it's not right! here's my work:

omega = 2pi f

omega = 6.28 rad/sec

omega = rad(k/m)

6.28 = rad(k/.00013)

k=.005 N/m

i apologize for not using latex, but I do not know how to input omega and whatnot into it. Please help me with this problem!

metalmagik said:
ah it's not right! here's my work:

omega = 2pi f

omega = 6.28 rad/sec

omega = rad(k/m)

6.28 = rad(k/.00013)

k=.005 N/m

i apologize for not using latex, but I do not know how to input omega and whatnot into it. Please help me with this problem!
Why do you think it is not right? You could go out another decimal place to get more precision, and should since you were given 2 significant figures in the data. Other than that it looks OK.

No but, I entered it in Webassign and it told me it was not correct. The answers in web assign should be to 3 sig figs. Do you know what I am doing wrong?

can anyone help me with this problem pleasee? It's the last one I have on my webassign, I need a 100! thank you

metalmagik said:
No but, I entered it in Webassign and it told me it was not correct. The answers in web assign should be to 3 sig figs. Do you know what I am doing wrong?
.005N is only 1 significant figure. If they are expecting three, you need to give them 3.

Related to Is a Spring Constant of 0.005 N/m Plausible for a Spider's Web?

1. What is the definition of spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is defined as the force required to extend or compress a spring by a unit distance.

2. How is the spring constant calculated?

The spring constant is calculated by dividing the applied force by the displacement of the spring. It can also be determined by measuring the slope of the force-displacement graph.

3. What is the unit of measurement for spring constant?

The unit of measurement for spring constant is Newtons per meter (N/m) in the SI system and pounds per inch (lb/in) in the imperial system.

4. How does the spring constant affect the behavior of a spring?

A higher spring constant indicates a stiffer spring, meaning it will require a larger force to extend or compress the spring by the same distance. On the other hand, a lower spring constant indicates a more flexible spring that can be easily stretched or compressed.

5. Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on factors such as the material of the spring, the thickness of the wire, and the number of coils. It can also be affected by external factors like temperature and applied force.