Is a One-Time Use Pulse Laser Possible?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the possibility of creating a one-time use pulse laser using a mini atomic bomb to generate high energy. The concept was explored through discussions of a nuclear-pumped laser and "Project Excalibur". The topic was further expanded upon with an article on gamma ray lasers using nuclear excited states. The participants included an electrical engineer and individuals with knowledge in lasers and nuclear physics.
Tiny Rick
I've been thinking... Is there any way that there could be sort of a one-time use pulse laser that uses something like a mini atomic bomb to create a super high energy laser? I found stuff about a Nuclear pumped laser and "Project Excalibur", but I wanted to ask actual people who know a lot about this kind of thing. I'm an electrical engineer myself, and this is totally out of my realm.

Physics news on Phys.org
A mini-atomic bomb, by design, blows its wad in one go. Its rate of output will overwhelm (indeed, annihilate) any device attempting to harness it.

A nuclear-pumped laser is about harnessing the fissile byproducts of a controlled nuclear reaction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_pumped_laser

They're kind of antithetical.

I know a little about lasers, and a lot less about nuclear physics.

You may be interested in this article, however:

http://phys.org/news/2011-05-gamma-ray-laser-emit-nuclear.html

Long story short, it is possible to make gamma ray laser light using nuclear excited states in a similar way as ordinary laser light is made using electronic excited states.

Thanks to everyone who responded! DaveC426913, thanks for clarifying that. Thanks jfizzix for linking that article!

Related to Is a One-Time Use Pulse Laser Possible?

1. Can a pulse laser be designed for one-time use only?

Yes, it is possible to design a pulse laser that can only be used once. This can be achieved by using a disposable power source or by limiting the laser's energy output to only one pulse before it burns out.

2. What would be the potential applications of a one-time use pulse laser?

A one-time use pulse laser could have various applications in fields such as medicine, military, and research. It could be used for targeted surgeries, precision cutting of materials, or for remote detonation of explosives.

3. Is a one-time use pulse laser more cost-effective than a reusable one?

It depends on the specific application and the materials used. In some cases, a one-time use pulse laser may be more cost-effective due to the lower maintenance and production costs. However, in other cases, a reusable laser may be a better long-term investment.

4. Are there any risks associated with using a one-time use pulse laser?

As with any laser technology, there are potential risks involved. The most significant risk is the potential for eye damage if proper safety measures are not followed. There is also a risk of overheating or malfunction, so it is essential to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully.

5. How does a one-time use pulse laser differ from a continuous wave laser?

The main difference between a one-time use pulse laser and a continuous wave laser is the way they emit energy. A one-time use pulse laser emits short bursts of high-intensity energy, while a continuous wave laser emits a continuous stream of lower intensity energy. This makes them suitable for different applications, and the design and components of each type of laser will also vary.