Is a function really equal to its Fourier series?

In summary, Dirichlet's theorem states that if a function has jump discontinuities and all Dirichlet conditions are met, the series will converge to the midpoint of the values at the discontinuity. However, this does not mean that the series is equal to the function at the points of discontinuity. Rather, the series approaches the function by getting steeper and steeper at the discontinuity. This can be proven using the concept of the Dirichlet conditions.
davidbenari
Suppose all Dirichlet conditions are met and we have a function that has jump discontinuities.

Dirichlet's theorem says that the series converges to the midpoint of the values at the jump discontinuity.

What bothers me then is: Dirichlet's theorem is basically telling us the series isn't the same as the function, precisely because it converges to the midpoint and doesn't itself have that jump discontinuity!

So, are we being easy with the equality sign? Whats going on? Is a function really equal to its Fourier series representation?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think we might say, in such a case, that the function is equal to its Fourier series representation everywhere except on a set "of measure zero"; then the equal sign is really an equivalence relation. Hopefully a more mathematically rigorous person can confirm.

Likes davidbenari
The infinite series does have a jump discontinuity. It is only the value at the point of the jump that may be different.

......º---------------

...... ..

---------------º

So my series gives a graph like the one I've drawn above? Namely, my series has a jump discontinuity but its value at the discontinuity is given by the dot I've drawn as the midpoint?

... For some reason I can't draw correctly here.

Edit: I think it looks okay now.

yes

But still it isn't exactly the same as the function. So can we conclude that its an "easy-type" of equality?

By the way, summing continuous functions to produce a jump discontinuity seems non-intuitive to me. So I was wondering how can this be proven? Which theorem/concept should I look out for?

Thanks.

The definition of "equal" is not "easy". The theorem does not say the series equals the function at the points of discontinuity. The way the continuous series converges to a discontinuous function is that the partial sums get steeper and steeper at the discontinuity. The higher frequencies have steep slopes and can get add up to approach a step.

This should get you started: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirichlet_conditions

Likes davidbenari

Related to Is a function really equal to its Fourier series?

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It is used to decompose a complex function into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and manipulate.

2. How is a Fourier series related to a function?

A Fourier series is used to approximate a function by representing it as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It is not an exact representation, but as the number of terms in the series increases, the approximation gets closer to the actual function.

3. Can a function really be equal to its Fourier series?

In theory, a function can be equal to its Fourier series if it meets certain criteria, such as being piecewise continuous and having a finite number of discontinuities. However, in most practical applications, the Fourier series is used as an approximation rather than an exact representation.

4. What are the advantages of using a Fourier series?

A Fourier series allows us to represent complex functions in a simpler form, making it easier to analyze and manipulate them. It is also useful for solving differential equations and studying the properties of periodic functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Fourier series?

One limitation of using a Fourier series is that it only works for periodic functions. It also requires the function to satisfy certain criteria for the series to converge. Additionally, it may not accurately represent the function at points of discontinuity.