Is a eutectic alloy always stronger than a hypo or hyper eutectic one?

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alloy
In summary: I'm not sure where you heard that eutectic compositions don't freeze to form lamellae? And hypo- and hyper-eutectic alloys compositions certainly contain grain boundaries; alloys in general do. Lamellar boundaries separate two different phases; grain boundaries separate regions of different crystal orientation. They are not mutually exclusive.Nevertheless, I could be convinced that the eutectic composition is the strongest composition, given that the α and β phases have similar strength. The eutectic point would be optimal because, besides the solid-solution strengthening of the two phases, one obtains the many interfaces of a fine lamellar structure (or, in the extreme, an amorph
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Question at title. Out of curiosity.

Physics news on Phys.org
At what temperature?

The eutectic will be liquid at some temperature, which the noneutectic will still have some solid strength left.

Sorry-- I mean all when they're all solids. I understand that eutectic alloys coalesce and form grain bounderies, and hyper-hypo ones have lamellar solid phase. I wonder if the grain bounderies always stronger than the lamellar.

Alloys and phase diagrams can be very simple or very complex. Not all form eutectics either.
For example the cupro-nickel system is fully miscible in all proportions, but forms a very pronounced strength maximum at about 58% nickel.
Further the actual strength of alloys depend strongly on their thermal history. Part of the manufacturing process includes standard heat treatment/quenching to make them harder/stronger or softer and more ductile.

Given all that I would say it is a brave person that makes the above claim.

What alloy are you thinking of in particular?

Alloys and phase diagrams can be very simple or very complex. Not all form eutectics either.

Yes, I mean "among" the eutectic ones

What alloy are you thinking of in particular?

None particular, all eutectic ones...let's say alimony-lead for the sake of argument. If you solidify it at the eutectic point it would be stronger than hypo-hyper eutectic points, right? Can we argue that all eutectic metals will be stronger solids when they form in the eutectic point, and that's due to the fact they solidify with grain bounderies and not with a lamellar phase?

Femme_physics said:
Can we argue that all eutectic metals will be stronger solids when they form in the eutectic point, and that's due to the fact they solidify with grain bounderies and not with a lamellar phase?

I'm not sure where you heard that eutectic compositions don't freeze to form lamellae? And hypo- and hyper-eutectic alloys compositions certainly contain grain boundaries; alloys in general do. Lamellar boundaries separate two different phases; grain boundaries separate regions of different crystal orientation. They are not mutually exclusive.

Nevertheless, I could be convinced that the eutectic composition is the strongest composition, given that the α and β phases have similar strength. The eutectic point would be optimal because, besides the solid-solution strengthening of the two phases, one obtains the many interfaces of a fine lamellar structure (or, in the extreme, an amorphous structure). If one of the phases is much stronger than the other, however, then I would hypothesize that the addition of the second phase would only decrease the strength.

Related to Is a eutectic alloy always stronger than a hypo or hyper eutectic one?

1. Is a eutectic alloy always stronger than a hypo or hyper eutectic one?

The strength of an alloy is dependent on various factors such as composition, processing, and microstructure. Therefore, it is not always the case that a eutectic alloy will be stronger than a hypo or hyper eutectic one.

2. What is a eutectic alloy?

A eutectic alloy is a mixture of two or more metals that has a specific composition and solidifies at a lower temperature than any of its individual components. This results in a microstructure with fine and uniformly distributed grains, which can contribute to its strength.

3. What is a hypo eutectic alloy?

A hypo eutectic alloy has a composition that is below the eutectic point, meaning it has a higher concentration of one of the metals compared to the eutectic composition. This can result in a coarser microstructure and potentially lower strength compared to a eutectic alloy.

4. What is a hyper eutectic alloy?

A hyper eutectic alloy has a composition that is above the eutectic point, meaning it has a lower concentration of one of the metals compared to the eutectic composition. This can result in a microstructure with larger and unevenly distributed grains, which can affect its strength.

5. What other factors can affect the strength of an alloy?

Apart from composition and microstructure, other factors that can affect the strength of an alloy include processing techniques, heat treatment, and the presence of impurities or defects in the material. These factors can influence the grain structure and distribution, as well as the interactions between the different phases in the alloy.