Is 2D Conservation of Momentum Possible? A Visual Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding an angle where both horizontal and vertical components of linear momentum are conserved. The composer may be trying to trick the person with the question, and there is a question about the conservation of kinetic energy. There is also a mention of the value 10^9 and the importance of including units in the answer.
Saptarshi Sarkar
Homework Statement
A high-velocity missile, travelling in a horizontal line with a kinetic energy of 3.0 Giga-Joules (GJ), explodes in flight and breaks into two pieces A and B of equal mass. One of these pieces (A) flies off in
a straight line perpendicular to the original direction in which the missile was moving and its kinetic energy is found to be 2.0 GJ. If gravity can be neglected for such high-velocity projectiles, it follows
that the other piece (B) flew off in a direction at an angle with the original direction of
Relevant Equations
##p = \sqrt {2mK.E.}##
I am unable to find any angle for which the horizontal and vertical components of the linear momentum are conserved.

I have added an image of my attempt

Attachments

• IMG_20200103_052558.jpg
    IMG_20200103_052558.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 341
Physics news on Phys.org
Conclusion ? The exercise composer is attempting to trick you ?

• Skeptical
Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
BvU said:
Conclusion ? The exercise composer is attempting to trick you ?

Maybe! The question itself seems weird. The COM of the system can no way stay in the same path, but it must.

What makes you think kinetic energy is conserved?

• Informative
Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
Where did the ##10^9## come from:
1578011959881.png

Edit: Oops, I see that @Orodruin beat me to the punch!

• Wow
Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
Thanks a lot for the help! I had a second attempt at the question and this the answer I arrived at.

Attachments

• IMG_20200103_193233.jpg
    IMG_20200103_193233.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 244
Looks fine apart from all the missing units.

Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
Instead of numbers and units you could simply use ##E_0## and ##\frac 2 3 E_0## for the given energy.

Likes Saptarshi Sarkar

Related to Is 2D Conservation of Momentum Possible? A Visual Analysis

1. What is 2D conservation of momentum?

2D conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that in a closed system, the total momentum of all objects remains constant in both the x and y directions. This means that the initial momentum in the system will be equal to the final momentum, regardless of any collisions or interactions between objects.

2. How is 2D conservation of momentum used in scientific research?

2D conservation of momentum is used in a wide range of scientific research, from understanding the motion of particles in fluids to studying the interactions between celestial bodies in space. It is also used in engineering to design and analyze structures and systems that involve the transfer of momentum, such as airplanes and rockets.

3. What are the key equations for 2D conservation of momentum?

The key equation for 2D conservation of momentum is p1,x + p2,x = p1,xf + p2,xf, which represents the conservation of momentum in the x direction. Similarly, p1,y + p2,y = p1,yf + p2,yf represents the conservation of momentum in the y direction.

4. How does 2D conservation of momentum apply to real-world situations?

2D conservation of momentum applies to real-world situations in which there are interactions between objects, such as collisions, explosions, and fluid flow. For example, when two pool balls collide, the total momentum before the collision will be equal to the total momentum after the collision.

5. Are there any limitations to the principle of 2D conservation of momentum?

One limitation of 2D conservation of momentum is that it assumes ideal conditions, such as perfectly elastic collisions and no external forces acting on the system. In real-world situations, these conditions may not be met, and the principle may not apply. Additionally, 2D conservation of momentum does not take into account other factors such as rotational motion and friction, which may affect the overall momentum of a system.