Is 1000 m/s² a Realistic Acceleration for a Potato in a PVC Cannon?

In summary, the conversation involved a physics class problem where a PVC pipe, a potato, and a piece of dowling were used to measure acceleration. The method involved sticking the pipe into the potato and pushing the plugs through with the dowling, then measuring the distance the potato plug flew to determine the velocity and acceleration. Although the calculated acceleration seemed high, there were no apparent issues with the measurements or calculations.
Atticus-Reiper
Okay. we were given a problem in Physics class regarding a PVC pipe, a potato and a piece of dowling(wood)

we were instructed to stick both ends of the pipe into the potato and then (once we had a good plug in either end) push one plug towards the other through the pipe with the piece of dowling. We were told to do this three times pushing slow, and three times fast. Then we were to take the distance the potato plug flew (once the pressure was enough to pop it out) and use it to measure how fast the potato plug moved, and what its acceleration was inside the tube (because once it left the tube the velocity was constant, ignoring air resistance). Finding the velocity for the trip was easy (using gravity and the height of the desk the tube was on to find trip time) but when i plugged it into my formula to find the acceleration in the tube i got numbers up around 1000 m/s2 for my potato. my partner and i feel these are way too grossly high and as such are posting them here for comments.

does any of this seem wrong to you?
work1.jpg

work2.jpg

work3.jpg

sorry the images are so huge

Physics news on Phys.org
I could not see any obvious trobles with your calcuations. It does seem like a pretty high acceleration but if you have double checked your measurements and your calculations you have to accept it.

Big is not a problem here, I could actually read it. BTW nice write up. :smile:

I would first commend you for conducting an experiment to measure the acceleration of a potato in a PVC pipe. It shows curiosity and a desire to understand the principles of physics. However, I do have some observations and suggestions for your experiment.

Firstly, I would recommend using a more precise measurement for the distance the potato plug flew. Using a ruler or a measuring tape would provide a more accurate result compared to using the height of the desk. This could potentially affect the calculated acceleration.

Secondly, the PVC pipe may not be the most suitable material to use for this experiment. PVC is known for its flexibility and may bend or deform when pressure is applied, potentially affecting the velocity and acceleration of the potato plug. A sturdier and more rigid material, such as metal, may provide more accurate results.

Thirdly, it is important to consider the friction between the potato plug and the inside of the PVC pipe. This will also affect the velocity and acceleration of the potato plug. You may need to conduct additional experiments to measure the friction and incorporate it into your calculations.

Lastly, I would suggest repeating the experiment multiple times and taking the average of the results to ensure accuracy. Also, consulting with your teacher or a physics expert may provide valuable insights and guidance on how to improve your experiment and calculations.

In conclusion, while your experiment shows potential, there are some factors that may have affected the accuracy of your results. I encourage you to continue exploring and experimenting, and to always question and seek clarification when you have doubts. Good luck with your future experiments!

Related to Is 1000 m/s² a Realistic Acceleration for a Potato in a PVC Cannon?

1. What is a potato cannon made of?

A potato cannon is typically made of PVC pipe, a combustion chamber, a fuel source (such as hairspray or propane), and a projectile (such as a potato).

2. How does a potato cannon work?

A potato cannon works by creating a controlled explosion inside the combustion chamber, which propels the projectile out of the cannon at high speeds.

3. Is it safe to use a potato cannon?

When used properly and with caution, a potato cannon can be safe. However, it is important to follow safety guidelines and wear protective gear when operating a potato cannon.

4. What are the potential risks of using a potato cannon?

The potential risks of using a potato cannon include injury from the explosion, projectiles, or flying debris, as well as potential legal consequences if used inappropriately.

5. Can a potato cannon be used for anything other than launching potatoes?

Yes, a potato cannon can also launch other projectiles such as fruits, vegetables, or small objects. However, it is important to use caution and consider the potential risks before using a potato cannon for anything other than its intended purpose.