Irreducible representation of GL(D)

In summary, the conversation discusses the representation V of GL(D) defined by the action of non-singular linear operators on R^D. The representation is irreducible due to the linearity of the operators and is considered to be the fundamental representation of GL(D) because it captures all the essential properties of the group.
gentsagree
Hi,

I'm reading: "Let [itex]v_{a}[/itex] represent a generic element of [itex]R^{D}[/itex]. The action of a non-singular linear operator on this space gives a D-dimensional irreducible representation V of GL(D); indeed, this representation defines the group itself".

I have a couple of questions:

1. How do I know that the rep will be IRREDUCIBLE? Is it a straightforward consequence of the linearity of the operators, or otherwise?

2. What does the last bit mean? Is it that the representation furnished by the action of linear ops on R is the "fundamental" of GL(D)?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for your help!

Hi there,

I can provide some insight into your questions.

1. The fact that the representation V is irreducible is a direct consequence of the linearity of the operators. This is because the linearity implies that the representation cannot be decomposed into smaller, independent representations. In other words, the action of the linear operators on R^D is a complete and irreducible representation of GL(D).

2. The last bit means that the representation V defines the group GL(D) itself. In other words, the representation V captures all the essential properties of the group GL(D) and can be used to fully describe and understand the group. This is because the action of the linear operators on R^D is a faithful representation of GL(D), meaning that it preserves all the group operations and structure.

I hope this helps clarify the concept for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Irreducible representation of GL(D)

What is an irreducible representation of GL(D)?

An irreducible representation of GL(D) is a mathematical concept used in the study of group theory. It is a way of representing a group of matrices in a way that cannot be broken down into simpler, smaller matrices. This type of representation is important in understanding the structure and properties of the group.

How is an irreducible representation of GL(D) different from other types of representations?

An irreducible representation is unique in that it cannot be reduced to simpler representations. This means that it cannot be broken down into smaller matrices or transformed into a different type of representation. In other words, it is the most basic and fundamental way of representing a group of matrices.

What is the significance of irreducible representations of GL(D) in mathematics?

Irreducible representations of GL(D) are important in many areas of mathematics, including group theory, abstract algebra, and representation theory. They help us understand the structure and symmetries of groups of matrices, and have applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and computer science.

How are irreducible representations of GL(D) calculated?

The calculation of irreducible representations involves finding the characters of the matrices in the group, which represent the trace of the matrices. These characters are then used to determine the dimensions of the irreducible representations and their corresponding basis matrices.

Can irreducible representations of GL(D) be used in real-world applications?

Yes, irreducible representations of GL(D) have practical applications in fields such as crystallography, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. They provide a useful tool for analyzing and understanding the symmetries and patterns in real-world systems and structures.