Ion-Ion Repulsion in Micelle Formation: Understanding Soaps

• Thread starter Docscientist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formation
In summary, during micelle formation in soaps, there is ion-ion repulsion between the positive and negative charges of water and the hydrophilic end of the soap molecule. This repulsion prevents the water from dissolving the soap molecules, causing them to remain as a precipitate in a colloidal solution. The soap molecules have Na+ and COO- ions in their hydrophilic end, and the orientation of these ions prevents them from being dissolved by water. The formation of micelles is a separate process, occurring simultaneously with the equilibrium process of soap dissociation and hydrolysis.
Docscientist

Homework Statement

What do we mean by ion-ion repulsion during micelle formation in soaps?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I think It is about the positive and Negative charges of water getting repelled by the positive and negative charges of hydrophilic end of soap molecule.This repulsion does not allow the water to dissolve the soap molecules.Hence the soap molecules remain just like a precipitate in a colloidal solution.since ions are responsible for the formation of charges,it is called ion ion repulsion.
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Docscientist said:
positive and Negative charges of water getting repelled by the positive and negative charges of hydrophilic end of soap molecule

And why not attracted? Water molecule is a dipole, whether it is attracted or repelled is just a matter of orientation.

Borek said:
And why not attracted? Water molecule is a dipole, whether it is attracted or repelled is just a matter of orientation.
I don't know.That is how I imagined it to be.
I think they can't change their orientation.Maybe they have a particular structure and dislodging themselves out of their position in order to attract is unlikely.

There is some ordering, no doubt about it. But it is more about attraction than about repelling.

I am not entirely sure what the question aims at, especially this "ion-ion" part. Electrostatic forces are definitely involved in keeping the micelles separated, but that's more "micelle-micelle" than "ion-ion". You can break micelles changing pH and charging the hydrophilic groups however, that's definitely where the "ion-ion" repulsion comes into scene - but I feel like that's rather exotic.

Borek said:
There is some ordering, no doubt about it. But it is more about attraction than about repelling.

I am not entirely sure what the question aims at, especially this "ion-ion" part. Electrostatic forces are definitely involved in keeping the micelles separated, but that's more "micelle-micelle" than "ion-ion". You can break micelles changing pH and charging the hydrophilic groups however, that's definitely where the "ion-ion" repulsion comes into scene - but I feel like that's rather exotic.
Soap molecules have Na+ and COO- ions in their hydrophilic end.I think since water is a polar solvent it should be capable of dissolving it.But the fact is My book clearly says that soap molecules stand as a precipitate in water.
So the only key point I am missing out is about how does this ionic ends manage not to dissolve in water molecules though they are capable of doing it.
One,They might not be able to change their orientation.The Orientation might be in such a way that the Na+ ion is forced towards H+ion and COO- ion is forced towards O- ions.This will make the ions to repel each other.
Do tell me if I've got something wrong in this,Mr Borek.
And thanks a lot ! You are an amazing homework helper !

Things you wrote about changing orientations and forcing ions to approach ions sound completely off to me.

Let's say we have a simple soap R-COONa (where R is just some long, aliphatic chain). It will dissociate in water, producing RCOO- and Na+. Fact that the acid is ionized helps to keep it in the solution. However, it is a weak acid, so it will hydrolize:

RCOO- + H2O ↔ RCOOH + OH-

This will first - produce some weakly soluble, undissociated acid, second - it will alkalize the solution.

This is an equilibrium process, it doesn't go to the end.

Once the pH gets high enough, rest of the acid stays in the solution in the RCOO- form and is capable of creating micelles. This is a separate process (although they do occur at the same time).

Borek said:
Things you wrote about changing orientations and forcing ions to approach ions sound completely off to me.

Let's say we have a simple soap R-COONa (where R is just some long, aliphatic chain). It will dissociate in water, producing RCOO- and Na+. Fact that the acid is ionized helps to keep it in the solution. However, it is a weak acid, so it will hydrolize:

RCOO- + H2O ↔ RCOOH + OH-

This will first - produce some weakly soluble, undissociated acid, second - it will alkalize the solution.

This is an equilibrium process, it doesn't go to the end.

Once the pH gets high enough, rest of the acid stays in the solution in the RCOO- form and is capable of creating micelles. This is a separate process (although they do occur at the same time).
Thank you,Mr Borek

Related to Ion-Ion Repulsion in Micelle Formation: Understanding Soaps

1. What is ion-ion repulsion and how does it contribute to micelle formation?

Ion-ion repulsion is the electrostatic force of repulsion between two charged particles. In the context of micelle formation, this refers to the repulsion between the negatively charged head groups of soap molecules. This repulsion causes the soap molecules to arrange themselves in a spherical structure, with the hydrophobic tails pointing towards the center and the hydrophilic heads facing outwards.

2. How do soaps work to remove dirt and oil from surfaces?

Soaps are amphiphilic molecules, meaning they have both hydrophilic (water-loving) and hydrophobic (water-hating) parts. When mixed with water, soaps form micelles which can trap oil and dirt particles within their hydrophobic core. This allows the particles to be easily washed away with water.

3. What determines the size of micelles in a soap solution?

The size of micelles is determined by the balance between the attractive forces (hydrophobic interactions) and repulsive forces (ion-ion repulsion) between soap molecules. As the concentration of soap in a solution increases, the size of the micelles also increases.

4. How does the presence of ions in water affect micelle formation?

The presence of ions in water can disrupt micelle formation by neutralizing the charges on the soap molecules. This reduces the repulsive forces between the soap molecules, making it harder for them to form micelles. This is why hard water, which contains high levels of ions, can make it difficult to create lather with soap.

5. What practical applications does understanding ion-ion repulsion in micelle formation have?

Understanding the role of ion-ion repulsion in micelle formation is important in various industries, such as cleaning products, cosmetics, and pharmaceuticals. It allows for the development of more efficient and effective formulations, as well as the ability to troubleshoot issues with soap-based products, such as poor lathering or stability problems.