Investigating the Proportional Relationship of a Gravity-Constrained Oscillator

In summary, the integral $\int^1_0 \frac{dy}{\sqrt{1+y^4}}$ can be transformed using the beta function to get a form proportional to $\Gamma(5/4)/\Gamma(3/4)$. However, it can also be transformed in multiple ways, such as the one shown above.
alejandrito29
Physics news on Phys.org
alejandrito29 said:
I has read the link

http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...particle-under-gravity-constrained-to-move-in

and, i don't unsderstand why the integral

[tex] \int^1_0 \frac{dy}{\sqrt{1+y^4}}[/tex] is proportional to [tex] \Gamma (5/4) / \Gamma (3/4) [/tex].

I had read the definition of Beta function, but i don't get to the answer...

So, what DO you get? You are required here to show your work.

Ray Vickson said:
So, what DO you get? You are required here to show your work.

ok, is not necessary write with capital letter the word "DO".

For to solve the integral [tex] \int^1_0 \frac{dy}{\sqrt{1+y^4}}[/tex] i tried to use the beta function [tex] \beta (x,y) = \int^1_0 t^{x-1}(1-t)^{y-1} dt [/tex]

but, i don't find values of x and y but for to get of the form [tex] \int^1_0 \frac{dy}{\sqrt{1+y^4}}[/tex]

alejandrito29 said:

For to solve the integral [tex] \int^1_0 \frac{dy}{\sqrt{1+y^4}}[/tex] i tried to use the beta function [tex] \beta (x,y) = \int^1_0 t^{x-1}(1-t)^{y-1} dt [/tex]

but, i don't find values of x and y but for to get of the form [tex] \int^1_0 \frac{dy}{\sqrt{1+y^4}}[/tex]

That stackexchange thread is talking about the integral ##\int^1_0 \frac{dy}{\sqrt{1-y^4}}## not ##\int^1_0 \frac{dy}{\sqrt{1+y^4}}##. If that's the one you really want to do then substituting ##t=y^4## is a good first step. Beta functions won't help with ##\int^1_0 \frac{dy}{\sqrt{1+y^4}}##.

Last edited:
Dick said:
That stackexchange thread is talking about the integral ##\int^1_0 \frac{dy}{\sqrt{1-y^4}}## not ##\int^1_0 \frac{dy}{\sqrt{1+y^4}}##. If that's the one you really want to do then substituting ##t=y^4## is a good first step. Beta functions won't help with ##\int^1_0 \frac{dy}{\sqrt{1+y^4}}##.

Yes, I know the hint is for minus and here we have a plus. But it seemed like the approach might be useful.

brmath said:
Yes, I know the hint is for minus and here we have a plus. But it seemed like the approach might be useful.

It might be, I'm just curious what problem we are actually trying to solve here. It's pretty straightforward with the minus sign.

Last edited:
alejandrito29 said:

Capitalization was intended and was needed to get the meaning I wanted to convey.

There are many ways to transform this, for example

$$\int_0^1 \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\sqrt{1+y^4}}=\frac{1}{8}\int_0^\infty \frac{u^{1/4}}{\sqrt{1+u}}\frac{\mathrm{d}u}{u}=\frac{3}{2}\int_0^\infty \frac{u^{5/4}}{(1+u)^{5/2}}\frac{\mathrm{d}u}{u}$$
recall that
$$\mathrm{B}(m,n)=\int_0^\infty \frac{u^m}{(1+u)^{m+n}}\frac{\mathrm{d}u}{u}=\frac{\Gamma(n)\Gamma(m)}{\Gamma(m+n)}$$

Likes 1 person

Related to Investigating the Proportional Relationship of a Gravity-Constrained Oscillator

1. What is a gravity-constrained oscillator?

A gravity-constrained oscillator is a physical system in which a mass is attached to a spring and is allowed to oscillate freely under the influence of gravity.

2. How is the proportional relationship of a gravity-constrained oscillator investigated?

The proportional relationship of a gravity-constrained oscillator can be investigated by varying the mass and measuring the resulting oscillation period using a timer or stopwatch. The data can then be plotted on a graph to determine if there is a proportional relationship between the mass and oscillation period.

3. How is gravity taken into account in the investigation of a gravity-constrained oscillator?

Gravity is taken into account by ensuring that the oscillator is set up on a level surface and that the oscillation is not affected by any external forces or factors such as air resistance.

4. What is the significance of investigating the proportional relationship of a gravity-constrained oscillator?

The investigation of the proportional relationship of a gravity-constrained oscillator can help to understand the fundamental principles of harmonic motion and how gravity affects the motion of objects.

5. How can the results of this investigation be applied in real-world scenarios?

The results of this investigation can be applied in various real-world scenarios such as designing and calibrating pendulum clocks, understanding the behavior of springs in car suspensions, and studying the motion of celestial bodies in space.