Investigating Magnetic Force on a Rectangular Loop

In summary, a rectangular loop of wire falls out of a region of uniform horizontal magnetic field, having reached a terminal speed of 2.00 m/s. The loop has a mass of 0.150 kg and a resistance of 0.750 Ω, and is 1.00 m wide and 1.50 m long. There is a magnetic force opposing the applied force, created by the separation of charges in the wire according to the right hand rule. The calculation of the terminal speed is not specified.
TsAmE

Homework Statement

A rectangular loop of wire 1.00 m wide and 1.50 m
long has a mass of 0.150 kg and a resistance of
0.750 Ω. The loop falls out of a large region of
uniform horizontal magnetic field, as shown, having
reached a terminal speed of 2.00 m/s.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have never really understood why there is always a magnetic force which opposes the applied force and is equal in magnitude. How is this force actually created? With the right hand rule for magnetic forces, I get the force which separates the + and - charges in the wire, but I don't understand where the other magnetic force comes from.

Attachments

• Loop in flux.png
    Loop in flux.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 398
Physics news on Phys.org
Also, I don't understand how the terminal speed is calculated in this case. Any help would be appreciated.

Related to Investigating Magnetic Force on a Rectangular Loop

1. What is the purpose of investigating magnetic force on a rectangular loop?

The purpose of this investigation is to understand the effects of magnetic fields on a rectangular loop, and how the loop's dimensions and orientation can affect the strength of the magnetic force.

2. What materials are needed for this investigation?

To investigate magnetic force on a rectangular loop, you will need a rectangular loop made of a conductive material, such as copper wire, a magnet, a ruler, and a power source.

3. How do you measure the magnetic force on a rectangular loop?

The magnetic force on a rectangular loop can be measured using a force sensor or by calculating the force using the formula F = BIL, where B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current flowing through the loop, and L is the length of the loop.

4. What factors affect the magnetic force on a rectangular loop?

The magnetic force on a rectangular loop is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the loop, and the dimensions and orientation of the loop.

5. How can this investigation be applied in real life?

Understanding the magnetic force on a rectangular loop can have practical applications in industries such as electrical engineering, where knowledge of magnetic fields and forces is essential for designing and building efficient motors, generators, and other devices that use electromagnetism.