Investigating Induced Current in Circular Coils

In summary, the direction of the induced current in the smaller coil when the switch in the larger coil is closed can be determined using Lenz's Law and will flow in a direction that opposes the change in the magnetic field through the smaller coil. The duration of the current flow will also depend on the change in magnetic flux linkage and may only occur for a short time. A diagram for clarification is attached.
Neophyte7
If I have a top view of two circular coils of conducting wire lying on a flat surface, what is the direciton of induced current that appears in the smaller coil when the switch in the larger coil is closed?

I'm trying to figure out:
1.) which direction the induced current would flow through the smaller coil
2.) how long it would flow: forever, or only for a short time.

I've attached a picture of the wires for clarification.

I'm not sure how to solve this. I know that induced current in a loop occurs only when the magnetic field through that loop changes. I'm assuming that when the switch is closed a current will run counterclockwise around the larger loop, but I don't know if this is a valid assumption, or what that does for the smaller loop. Can soemone help please?

Thank you.

Attachments

• 2 circles.jpg
    2 circles.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 348
Physics news on Phys.org
Can't see the diagram now, but the idea is basically to use Lenz's Law, that the direction of the induced current in the smaller loop will flow in the direction that would create an induced magnetic field which opposes the change in magnetic flux linkage through it i.e. in the likes of N against N and S against S in a simplistic analysis in this case.

I can provide some insight into your questions about induced current in circular coils. The direction of the induced current in the smaller coil will depend on the direction of the changing magnetic field created by the larger coil. This is known as Faraday's law of induction, which states that an induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in the magnetic field.

In your scenario, when the switch in the larger coil is closed, a current will indeed run counterclockwise around the larger loop. This will create a changing magnetic field that will induce a current in the smaller coil. The direction of this induced current will be clockwise, as it will oppose the counterclockwise current in the larger coil.

As for the duration of the induced current, it will only flow for a short time, as the changing magnetic field will only be present while the switch is being closed. Once the current in the larger coil stabilizes, the induced current in the smaller coil will also stop flowing.

I hope this helps to clarify your questions about induced current in circular coils. Remember to always consider the direction of the changing magnetic field when determining the direction of the induced current.

Related to Investigating Induced Current in Circular Coils

1. What is induced current in circular coils?

Induced current in circular coils refers to the flow of electric current that is generated in a coil when it is placed in a changing magnetic field. This phenomenon was first discovered by Michael Faraday in the 1800s and is known as Faraday's law.

2. How is induced current in circular coils investigated?

To investigate induced current in circular coils, a magnetic field must be applied to the coil. This can be done by using a magnet or by passing an electric current through a nearby wire. The presence of the magnetic field will cause a current to flow through the coil, which can be measured using an ammeter.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of induced current in circular coils?

The magnitude of induced current in circular coils is influenced by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, the speed at which the magnetic field changes, and the resistance of the circuit. All of these factors can be adjusted to alter the induced current.

4. What are some real-world applications of induced current in circular coils?

Induced current in circular coils has many practical applications, such as in generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in devices like metal detectors and induction cooktops. Additionally, the concept of induced current is crucial in understanding the functioning of electromagnetic waves, which are used in various communication technologies.

5. How is the direction of induced current determined in circular coils?

The direction of induced current in circular coils is determined by Faraday's law, which states that the direction of the induced current is always such that it opposes the change in the magnetic field that caused it. This is known as Lenz's law and can be determined using the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the changing magnetic field and the fingers indicate the direction of the induced current.