Inverting OP AMP with 'hanging' resistor in feedback network

In summary, the conversation discusses using Ohm's law and KVL to find the output voltage in a circuit. There is confusion about the mechanics of KVL and the inclusion of Vin in the equation. It is suggested that Vin may be a typo and should be Vi instead. There is also discussion about the open circuit in the diagram and the consideration of neighboring loop currents in the analysis.
Learnphysics

Homework Statement

8JviuRx.png

Find Vo/Vin.I understand perfectly how to do this question. It simply involves an application of ohm's law to find i1, then KVL around the first loop. KCL at the top, and KVL around the second loop. Then to solve simultaneously.

My issue however Is why the mechanics of KVL work in this case. We were taught that KVL required a closed loop, and the voltages needed to sum to zero. The diagram seems not be a closed loopIn the textbook example we say the KVL of those loops are:
Vin + i2(R2) -i3*R3 = 0.
(Vin = 0, due to a virtual short circuit)

I understand i2*R2 is the voltage drop across resistor 2. But for -i3*r3, wouldn't we also need to factor in the current i4 that's circulating around the neighboring loop? (as we'd do in mesh analysis?).

Also why are we adding the voltage of Vin when it isn't in the loop at all? It seems like we're simply adding the voltage of a certain point, as opposed to the voltage drop across a certain element.

I understand Op-amps, virtual short circuits, and such, this problem is really just focused around the circuit analysis of the feedback loop.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Learnphysics said:
I understand i2*R2 is the voltage drop across resistor 2. But for -i3*r3, wouldn't we also need to factor in the current i4 that's circulating around the neighboring loop? (as we'd do in mesh analysis?).
Current i3 is the net current running through R3. If you like, it's the sum of the mesh currents I1 and I2 that pass through R3. Since i3 is the current through R3, the voltage drop is i3*R3 no matter what.
Also why are we adding the voltage of Vin when it isn't in the loop at all? It seems like we're simply adding the voltage of a certain point, as opposed to the voltage drop across a certain element.
Yeah, adding Vin there seems rather dubious. Unless it's a typo and they meant Vi, the voltage across the op-amp inputs which, for an ideal op-amp, will be essentially zero.

My issue however Is why the mechanics of KVL work in this case. We were taught that KVL required a closed loop, and the voltages needed to sum to zero. The diagram seems not be a closed loop

We have had a similar question before.

Where do you think the open circuit is? None of the components in the diagram have an unconnected terminal.

If you wanted to you could write KCL for the top end of R3, eg I2 + I3 - I4 = 0

I agree with gneil. I think that's a typo and they mean Vi not Vin.

That makes sense if the loop is..

Earth
V-
V+
R2
R3
Earth

Attachments

• opamp.png
    opamp.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 689
Last edited:
Likes 1 person

Related to Inverting OP AMP with 'hanging' resistor in feedback network

1. What is an inverting op amp?

An inverting op amp is a type of operational amplifier that produces an output voltage that is the inverse (or opposite) of the input voltage. This is achieved by using a feedback resistor in the circuit.

2. What is a 'hanging' resistor in the feedback network?

A 'hanging' resistor refers to a resistor that is connected between the output of the op amp and the inverting input. This resistor helps to set the gain of the op amp circuit and can also be used to provide negative feedback.

3. How does the inverting op amp with 'hanging' resistor work?

The feedback network of an inverting op amp with a 'hanging' resistor works by using the principle of negative feedback. The output voltage of the op amp is fed back to the inverting input, which helps to stabilize and regulate the output voltage. The 'hanging' resistor also helps to set the gain of the circuit.

4. What are the advantages of using an inverting op amp with 'hanging' resistor?

One advantage is that it allows for precise control of the output voltage. The 'hanging' resistor can also be used to adjust the gain of the circuit, making it versatile for different applications. Additionally, using a 'hanging' resistor in the feedback network can help to reduce noise and improve stability.

5. What are some common applications of inverting op amps with 'hanging' resistors?

Inverting op amps with 'hanging' resistors are commonly used in audio amplifiers, voltage regulators, and signal conditioning circuits. They are also frequently used in instrumentation and control systems, as well as in electronic filters and oscillators.