Inverse Trig Functions as a (unique?) solution to a PDE

In summary, the uniqueness of solutions to a partial differential equation depends on the boundary conditions. If the boundary conditions specify a fixed value, the inverse trig function will be single valued and there will be a unique solution. However, if the boundary conditions do not specify a fixed value, there may be multiple solutions.
myshadow
Hi,

I know from basic math courses that inverse trig functions are multi valued (e.g. arctan(c)=θ+n*2∏). Now, if I solve a partial differential equation and I get an inverse trig function as part of my solution, does that mean solutions to the pde are non-unique?

For example, if f(x,t)=arctan(t)*sin(x) is a solution to a pde does that mean that the pde doesn't give unique solutions (i.e. no uniqueness)?

The reason I am asking this, is because I found solutions to the 2D navier-stokes equations, where the form of the velocity and pressure functions are arctan(t)*g(x,y). The solutions are 2D and I thought uniqueness had already been proven for 2D. I can provide the solution if you want. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The uniqueness (or not) of the solution to a PDE depends on the boundary conditions.

If the BCs specify a fixed value of the function at some point and the solution is continuous, that effectively makes the arctan function single valued by selecting one mutiple of n*2∏.

Otherwise, there might be multiple solutions.

Related to Inverse Trig Functions as a (unique?) solution to a PDE

1. How do inverse trig functions solve a PDE?

Inverse trigonometric functions, such as arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent, are used to obtain a unique solution to certain types of partial differential equations (PDEs). These functions are known for their ability to "undo" the trigonometric functions, allowing us to solve equations that involve trigonometric functions.

2. Can inverse trig functions always be used as a solution to a PDE?

No, inverse trig functions are only applicable to certain types of PDEs, specifically those that can be transformed into a form suitable for inverse trigonometric functions by using various techniques such as separation of variables or the method of characteristics.

3. What is the advantage of using inverse trig functions as a solution to a PDE?

The advantage of using inverse trig functions is that they provide a unique solution to a PDE. Other methods, such as using power series or numerical methods, may provide multiple solutions or approximate solutions.

4. Are there any limitations to using inverse trig functions as a solution to a PDE?

Yes, inverse trig functions can only be used to solve PDEs with specific boundary conditions and initial conditions. In addition, the PDE itself must be solvable using inverse trig functions.

5. How are inverse trig functions used in practical applications of PDEs?

Inverse trig functions are commonly used in physics and engineering applications to solve PDEs that describe physical phenomena, such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and wave propagation. They are also used in finance and economics to model and solve differential equations related to option pricing and financial risk management.