Inverse of s(x)=[1+f(x)]/[1-f(x)]

• Thread starter caitlinbennet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inverse
In summary, we are given a one to one function f with inverse f^-1 and are asked to find the inverse of s(x)=[1+f(x)]/[1-f(x)]. After attempting to solve for s^-1(x), it is found that s^-1(x)= [f^-1(1-x)]/[f^-1(-x-1)], however this does not seem to be correct. The user is unable to find any examples of similar problems online and is seeking assistance on how to proceed. Through further questioning and guidance, it is suggested that s^-1(x) may be a composition of f^-1.
caitlinbennet
f is a one to one function with inverse f^-1, and we are asked to find the inverse of s(x)=[1+f(x)]/[1-f(x)]

My attempts leave me with s^-1(x)= [f^-1(1-x)]/[f^-1(-x-1)] and I don't think this is correct. I can't find any examples of problems like this online.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi caitlinbennet! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
caitlinbennet said:
s(x)=[1+f(x)]/[1-f(x)]

so f(x) = … ?

and what does that tell you about s-1 ? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi caitlinbennet! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

so f(x) = … ?

and what does that tell you about s-1 ? :wink:

Is s-1 a composition of f-1.. I'm definitely missing something silly here...

f(x) = … ?

tiny-tim said:
f(x) = … ?
(1+s(x))/1-s(x)?

really have no idea where to start..

I found the answer on wolfram alpha, I can invert normal functions but this one has me totally stumped.

hi caitlinbennet! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
caitlinbennet said:
(1+s(x))/1-s(x)?

ok, so suppose s(y) = x

then y = s-1(x), and y = f-1(f(y)) = … ? :wink:

f(x)?

tiny-tim said:
f-1(f(y)) = … ? :wink:

i mean, in terms of s(y) ?

Related to Inverse of s(x)=[1+f(x)]/[1-f(x)]

1. What is the inverse of s(x)=[1+f(x)]/[1-f(x)]?

The inverse of a function is a function that "undoes" what the original function does. It is represented by swapping the x and y variables and solving for y. In this case, the inverse of s(x) is given by the formula s-1(x) = [1+f(x)]/[1-f(x)].

2. How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, swap the x and y variables and solve for y. This can be done by using algebraic methods such as isolating y on one side of the equation or using the concept of inverse operations.

3. Can the inverse of a function exist?

Not all functions have an inverse. A function must be one-to-one, meaning that each input (x) corresponds to a unique output (y), in order for its inverse to exist. In this case, the function s(x) meets this criterion, so it does have an inverse.

4. How is the inverse of a function represented?

The inverse of a function is typically represented by adding a "-1" superscript to the original function's name, such as s-1(x) in the case of the function s(x). It is also common to see the inverse written as f-1(x) or g-1(x).

5. What is the relationship between a function and its inverse?

The inverse of a function and the original function are reflections of each other across the line y=x. This means that the input and output values are switched, and the graph of the inverse is a reflection of the original function's graph across this line.