Intuition for conservative field

In summary, a scalar field is considered conservative if the line integral does not depend on the path taken. This is determined by whether or not the scalar field has a gradient, which can be thought of as a way of writing partial derivatives as a vector. A vector field is considered conservative if it has a potential function, denoted by the symbol ##\phi##, where the vector function is equal to the gradient of ##\phi##. This allows for the independence of path in the line integral. However, it is important to note that a line integral is not applicable to a scalar field, but rather a vector field.
aaaa202
A scalar field is conservative, i.e. the line integral does not depend on the path taken, if it has a gradient.

Now, can someone give me intuition behind why the gradient would have something to do with this? :)

For me the gradient is merely a way of writing up the partial derivates as a vector, which then points in the direction where the field is steepest.

Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
A scalar field is conservative, i.e. the line integral does not depend on the path taken,
You mean a vector field is conservative...
if it has a gradient.

If WHAT has a gradient? Any differentiable function has a gradient. And that isn't what you mean anyway. The condition is that the vector field ##\vec F## has a potential function ##\phi## which means the ##\vec F =\nabla \phi##. I don't know if it will help your intuition that much, but you might want to look at the proof where independence of path is assumed and it gives the argument to build a potential function. That might help you see why a force field including friction along the path isn't conservative.

You seem to have a lot of misunderstandings here. I think you are reversing the "scalar field" and its "gradient". It doesn't make sense to talk about "the line integral does not depend on the path taken" for a scalar field. A line integral is something of the form [itex]\int f(x,y,z)dx+ g(x,y,z)dy+ h(x,y,z)dz[/itex] which can be interpreted as the dot product of the vector function [itex]<f(x,y,z), g(x,y,z), h(x,y,z)>[/itex] with the "differential of the path", <dx, dy, dz>.

What is true is that the integral (between two given points) of such a vector valued function is independent of the path used if it is a gradient, not if it has one. That's because if there exist some function F(x,y,z) so that [itex]\nabla F= <f(x,y,z), g(x,y,z), h(x,y,z)>[/itex] then [itex]f(x,y,z)dx+ g(x,y,z)dy+ h(x,y,z)dz= (f(x,y,z)(dx/dt)+ g(x,y,z)(dy/dt)+ h(x,y,z)(dz/dt))dt= dF/dt[/itex], where t is some parameter for the path.

That means that the integral along any path, from [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex] to [itex](x_1, y_1, z_1)[/itex] is [itex]\int f(x,y,z)dx+ g(x,y,z)dy+ h(x,y,z)dz= \int (f(x,y,z)(dx/dz)+ g(x,y,z)(dy/dt)+ h(x,y,z)(dz/dt))dt= F(x_1, y_1, z_1)- F(x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex]. That last part depends only on the endpoints, not the specific path.

Related to Intuition for conservative field

1. What is a conservative field?

A conservative field is a type of vector field in which the work done by the vector field around a closed path is zero. This means that the path taken to get from one point to another does not affect the total work done by the vector field.

2. How is intuition helpful in understanding conservative fields?

Intuition can be helpful in understanding conservative fields because it allows us to visualize and understand the concept of work done by a vector field. By thinking about the path taken and how it affects the total work done, we can better understand the properties of conservative fields.

3. What are some real-world applications of conservative fields?

Conservative fields have many real-world applications, such as in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and gravity. They are also used in engineering and physics to calculate the work done by forces in various systems.

4. How do conservative fields differ from non-conservative fields?

Conservative fields differ from non-conservative fields in that the work done by a non-conservative field around a closed path will not be zero. This means that the path taken does affect the total work done by the vector field.

5. How can I determine if a vector field is conservative?

To determine if a vector field is conservative, you can use the curl or divergence tests. If the curl of the vector field is equal to zero, or if the divergence of the vector field is equal to zero, then the vector field is conservative. Alternatively, if the vector field can be expressed as the gradient of a scalar function, then it is also conservative.