Introductry Physics- Coloumbs Law problem

In summary, the problem involves a small spherical insulator with a mass of 8.00x10^-2 Kg and a charge of 6.0x10^-5C, hung by a thin wire. A charge of -9.0x10^-5 is held 0.150 m away from the sphere, causing the wire to make an angle with the vertical. The task is to find the angle and the tension in the wire. The tension can be found by adding the force of gravity and the electric force vectors, which form the sides of a right triangle. To find the angle, trigonometric approaches may be used, but it is important to make sure all units are correctly converted.
moephysics

Homework Statement

A small spherical insulator of mass 8.00x10^-2 Kg and charge 6.0x10^-5C is hung by a thin wire of negligible mass. A charge of -9.0x10^-5 is held 0.150 m away from the sphere and directly to the right of it, so the wire makes an angle with the vertical (see the drawing). Find (a) the angle and (b) the tension in the wire.

Homework Equations

Fe=Kq1q2\r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well as far as the tension is concerned I have no problem, I have mg and Fe and from adding them vectorialy I can figure out the tension. However when I tried to figure out the angle I tried a trigonometrical approach where I extended the line and made a big triangle and a small triangle so I can try to figure out the length L of the thin wire and one of the sides of the triangle so I can calculate the angle. However when I tried that approach I seem to be going through trouble with having less information than needed, so if someone can help give me a hint or something that could push me further, that's all and thank you (and also I have attached a picture with this thread if anyone wants the problem shown in a diagram)

Attachments

• ngr019.gif
    ngr019.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
moephysics said:
Well as far as the tension is concerned I have no problem, I have mg and Fe and from adding them vectorialy I can figure out the tension.
Good.
However when I tried to figure out the angle I tried a trigonometrical approach where I extended the line and made a big triangle and a small triangle so I can try to figure out the length L of the thin wire and one of the sides of the triangle so I can calculate the angle.
Not sure what you're doing here, since the length of the wire is not needed or relevant. The tension will be parallel to the wire, but will have nothing to do with its length.

The two vectors you must add are the Fe (to the right) and mg (downward). Hint: They form the sides of the right triangle that you want.

ooh I see where I made my mistake, I actually tried out what you said before I asked you, however I was getting this weird answer of 90 degrees, which you would get if you tried solving this problem right now, kind of embarrassing but turns out I converted from micro coulombs to coulombs wrongly :shy:, but any how thanks you very much for the help. :smile:

Related to Introductry Physics- Coloumbs Law problem

1. What is Coloumb's Law?

Coloumb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the relationship between the electric force between two charged particles and the distance between them. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How do you calculate the electric force using Coloumb's Law?

The electric force can be calculated using the formula F = k * (q1 * q2) / r2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What are the units for the Coulomb's constant, k?

The units for the Coulomb's constant, k, are N * m2 / C2, where N is Newtons, m is meters, and C is Coulombs.

4. How does the force change as the distance between two charged particles changes?

According to Coloumb's Law, the force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and as the distance decreases, the force increases.

5. What are some real-world applications of Coloumb's Law?

Coloumb's Law is used to understand and explain many phenomena in our daily lives, such as the attraction and repulsion between magnets, the behavior of electric charges in circuits, and the formation of lightning during thunderstorms. It is also essential in fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and engineering.