Introductory number theory book

In summary, the online course by Dr. Keith Devlin at Stanford is a good starting point for someone wanting to learn introductory number theory. The accompanying textbook, available on Amazon for about $10, can be helpful, but it requires completing a bit of the book to get to the topics. Another book that is accessible right away and is well-written is "A Book on Abstract Algebra" by Pinter.
Kevin Licer
Hello, I'm looking for an introductory number theory book for high school. Any recommendations are welcome. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr. Keith Devlin at Stanford offers a free online course: https://www.coursera.org/course/maththink
After you sign up, it takes you to his video series. Click on Lecture 9A (Introduction to Number Theory).
The accompanying textbook is available on Amazon for about $10.

Thanks! I'll look into it, but I'd prefer studying from a book written in a somewhat self-study fashion. I'm not so big on watching videos.

What math do you know? What number theory do you want this to cover?

Well, I have an understanding of basic high school algebra and geometry, some rudimentary linear algebra (2x2, 3x3 and their properties, and solving system linear equations), basic trigonometry (we are going to start learning about the graph of trig functions soon) and etc. Well I want it to contain things like congruences, primes, multiplicative function, divisibility, euler's function and theorem and so on.

Would you be alright with learning some basic abstract algebra or discrete math?

Well, I suppose since I do want to learn the subject without any gaps, I mean if it is more beneficial, then why not?

The book by Pinter "A book on abstract algebra" can be found for very cheap, and it contains all the topics you listed. On the downside, you need to complete quite some bit of the book to reach those topics. But Pinter is really well-written and elementary (which can not be said from similar books on the same topic), and the topics found in Pinter are very useful if you want to go on in number theory.

If you want some help with self-studying Pinter, feel free to PM me!

Likes Kevin Licer
I saw the book on amazon (the second version) and it does seem to take time to get to number theory. I would like to self-study it, but I don't know if I'm going to have that much time for it because the reason I'm looking for a book on number theory is that our school books are terrible and incomprehensible and we're studying the subject matter right at the moment. So that's why I wanted to self-study the material, to actually understand some of it. Even though the book definitely looks like a must have.

Looks like I'm going to get the book by Dudley. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, it was really helpful.

Related to Introductory number theory book

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers, particularly integers. It is a fundamental and important field of study in mathematics, with applications in cryptography, computer science, and other areas.

2. What topics are typically covered in an introductory number theory book?

An introductory number theory book will typically cover topics such as divisibility, prime numbers, modular arithmetic, diophantine equations, and basic number theoretic functions.

3. Is number theory a difficult subject?

Number theory can be challenging for some individuals, as it involves abstract concepts and proofs. However, with dedication and practice, it can be a rewarding and fascinating area of study.

4. How can number theory be applied in real life?

Number theory has many practical applications, such as in cryptography, which is used to secure online transactions and protect sensitive information. It is also used in computer science for algorithm design and analysis.

5. Are there any famous problems or theorems in number theory?

Yes, there are several famous problems and theorems in number theory, such as Fermat's Last Theorem, the Goldbach Conjecture, and the Twin Prime Conjecture. These problems have intrigued mathematicians for centuries and continue to be areas of active research.