Interval notation and specifying units (v vs. t graph)

In summary: I was summarizing the conversation and providing a summary of the answers given by the participants.In summary, the conversation revolved around problems #5 and #6 in a pdf file, where the professor did not cover how to solve them and there were no similar problems in the book or handouts. The participants discussed whether to list the units in the interval notation and how to word the problem. One participant provided answers as (45, 87.5) and [0, 45)U(87.5, 100] for #5 and #6 respectively, while another participant suggested using [0 s, 45 s)U(87.5 s, 100 s] for the time interval when the particle is moving to
Genecks

Homework Statement

#5 and #6 of the attached pdf on page 5 (graph on page 4 relates to said problems)

Note: The professor did not cover how to do a problem like this, and the book does not have a similar problem, nor any other handouts. This definitely was a unique question.

I'm unsure if I should list the units or not within the interval notation.
I can't find a single justification on the web whether or not do such.

Homework Equations

Should I be putting all of #5 and #6 in interval notation? How so?
What would be a proper way to word it?

The Attempt at a Solution

#5 Answer?
(45, 87.5)

#6 Answer?
[0, 45)U(87.5, 100]

Right?

Say that I want to express the time interval during which a particle is moving to the right.
Time is in seconds...

At 0 and between 45 seconds, the particle is moving to the right.
AND
Between 87.5 seconds and 100 seconds, the particle is moving to the right.

Or would I list [0 s, 45 s)U(87.5 s, 100 s]

Basically, this has to do with a physics problem.
Moving to the right means the particle is moving in a positive direction.
There are other times during which it moves in a negative direction (left); that occurs between 45 seconds and 87.5 seconds.
At t = 45s and t=87.5s, y=0

Attachments

• 105hw1.pdf
    148.4 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bio-Hazard said:

Homework Statement

#5 and #6 of the attached pdf on page 5 (graph on page 4 relates to said problems)

Note: The professor did not cover how to do a problem like this, and the book does not have a similar problem, nor any other handouts. This definitely was a unique question.

I'm unsure if I should list the units or not within the interval notation.
I can't find a single justification on the web whether or not do such.

Homework Equations

Should I be putting all of #5 and #6 in interval notation? How so?
What would be a proper way to word it?

The Attempt at a Solution

#5 Answer?
(45, 87.5)

#6 Answer?
[0, 45)U(87.5, 100]

Right?

Say that I want to express the time interval during which a particle is moving to the right.
Time is in seconds...

At 0 and between 45 seconds, the particle is moving to the right.
AND
Between 87.5 seconds and 100 seconds, the particle is moving to the right.

Or would I list [0 s, 45 s)U(87.5 s, 100 s]

Basically, this has to do with a physics problem.
Moving to the right means the particle is moving in a positive direction.
There are other times during which it moves in a negative direction (left); that occurs between 45 seconds and 87.5 seconds.
At t = 45s and t=87.5s, y=0

I am happy with the way you gave your answers - or were you merely quoting the answers section of the file to show us what it should have been?

There is always 0 <= t < 45 especially if you can type one of those snappy "less than or equal to" signs. Very easy with a pen and paper.

Are you happy with the "s" unit measurement being involved with the interval notation?

No, I was not quoting. I don't have the answers.

Related to Interval notation and specifying units (v vs. t graph)

What is interval notation?

Interval notation is a way of representing a range of values on a number line. It is written in the form [a, b], where a and b are the endpoints of the interval. The square brackets indicate that both endpoints are included in the interval.

How is interval notation used in a v vs. t graph?

In a v vs. t graph, interval notation is used to indicate the time interval during which a specific velocity occurs. For example, if a car travels at a constant speed of 60 miles per hour between 2 and 4 pm, the interval notation would be [2, 4].

Why is it important to specify units in a v vs. t graph?

Specifying units in a v vs. t graph is important because it helps to accurately interpret the data. Velocity is measured in units of distance per time, such as miles per hour or meters per second. Without specifying units, it can be difficult to understand the meaning of the data.

How do you convert units in a v vs. t graph?

To convert units in a v vs. t graph, you can use conversion factors. For example, if you want to convert a velocity value from miles per hour to meters per second, you can use the conversion factor 1 mile = 1609.34 meters and multiply the velocity by this factor.

What are the advantages of using interval notation in a v vs. t graph?

Using interval notation in a v vs. t graph has several advantages. It provides a concise and standardized way of representing a range of values. It also allows for easy identification of the starting and ending points of an interval. Additionally, interval notation can be used to represent both open and closed intervals, allowing for more flexibility in data representation.