Intersection of 2 vectors in 3D, knowing the angle between them

In summary, the homework problem is to find the intersection point of two vectors given their start points, magnitudes, and the angle between them. The equations AB=|A||B|cos(theta) and setting the equations of the lines equal can be used to solve for the intersection point. The point of intersection can be represented as a multiple of |A| and the vector from the start point of B to the intersection point will also make the same angle with A. The length of this vector, referred to as "C", can be found using the formula sqrt{(a-x)^2+(b-y)^2+(c-z)^2}. The quadratic equation may give two solutions, but the correct one can be determined.
calcioitalia0
** I accidentally posted this in the pre-calc math section first, but I think it's more applicable here...sorry**

Homework Statement

I need to find the intersection point of two vectors.

For vector A, I have it's start point (0,0,0) and it's magnitude in components (-.41, .28, -.08).

For vector B, I only know it's start point (-2.70, -.45, -.21)

I also know that the angle between the two vectors is 38.3 degrees.

I know this system has a unique solution, but I am having trouble arriving there mathematically.

Homework Equations

I am guessing I need to use some combination of AB=|A||B|cos(theta) and setting the equations of the lines equal... but haven't had any success yet.

The Attempt at a Solution

Like I said, I've tried writing equations for the two vectors and solving for them equal to each other, as well as a geometric approach.

Physics news on Phys.org
calcioitalia0 said:
** I accidentally posted this in the pre-calc math section first, but I think it's more applicable here...sorry**

Homework Statement

I need to find the intersection point of two vectors.

For vector A, I have it's start point (0,0,0) and it's magnitude in components (-.41, .28, -.08).

For vector B, I only know it's start point (-2.70, -.45, -.21)

I also know that the angle between the two vectors is 38.3 degrees.

I know this system has a unique solution, but I am having trouble arriving there mathematically.

Homework Equations

I am guessing I need to use some combination of AB=|A||B|cos(theta) and setting the equations of the lines equal... but haven't had any success yet.

The Attempt at a Solution

Like I said, I've tried writing equations for the two vectors and solving for them equal to each other, as well as a geometric approach.

Hint: If a point [itex]\textbf{r}[/itex] lies along the first vector, then

[tex]\textbf{r}=\begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{pmatrix} + \begin{pmatrix} -0.41 \\ 0.28 \\ -0.08\end{pmatrix}t[/tex]

For some value of [itex]t[/itex] between zero and one. (Do you see why?)...Suppose you connect the starting point of your 2nd vector to some point [itex]\textbf{r}(t)[/itex] on your first vector, what would be the angle between your 1st vector and this new vector (as a function of [itex]t[/itex] )? What value of [itex]t[/itex] makes that angle 38.3 degrees?

Ok, I get that the point of intersection is going to be some multiple of |A|. And you're saying I can basically call my second vector B [(-.41, .28, -.08)t - (-2.70, -.45, -.21)] since that is the difference of it's two endpoints, which is what a vector is. If I do the dot product of AB then and set it equal to |A||B|cos(38.3) then I should get my t value, which in turn will give me the coordinates of intersection?

I'll go try it out.

Thanks!

If we call the point of intersection (a,b,c) and the start point of B (x,y,z), will |B| be

sqrt(((a-x)^2,(b-y)^2,(c-z)^2))?

With the t's in the values of a,b,c that is going to get messy. Can I call |B| = 1 since I'm really just worried about where a vector going in the DIRECTION of B would intersect with A, so is the magnitude necessary?

If I end up doing it the first way I describe I will end up with a quadratic which I don't think make sense physically... but maybe I just have to throw one of the solutions out?

calcioitalia0 said:
If we call the point of intersection (a,b,c) and the start point of B (x,y,z), will |B| be

sqrt(((a-x)^2,(b-y)^2,(c-z)^2))?

With the t's in the values of a,b,c that is going to get messy. Can I call |B| = 1 since I'm really just worried about where a vector going in the DIRECTION of B would intersect with A, so is the magnitude necessary?

There's no guarantee that the point of intersection will be the endpoint of your second vector, but the vector from (x,y,z) to (a,b,c) will be part of your 2nd vector and will thus make the same angle with your 1st vector. The length of that vector will be [itex]\sqrt{(a-x)^2+(b-y)^2+(c-z)^2}[/itex]. Let's call that vector "C", clearly its length will be fixed, so you can't just set it equal to one.

If I end up doing it the first way I describe I will end up with a quadratic which I don't think make sense physically... but maybe I just have to throw one of the solutions out?

Not all quadratics have two unique solutions ([itex]x^2 = 0[/itex] for example), but even if this one does, I'm sure you'll be able to tell which one is correct.

Related to Intersection of 2 vectors in 3D, knowing the angle between them

1. What is the formula for finding the intersection of two vectors in 3D?

The formula for finding the intersection of two vectors in 3D is to first find the cross product of the two vectors, and then use the dot product of the cross product with one of the vectors to find the point of intersection. The cross product gives a vector that is perpendicular to both original vectors, and the dot product gives the distance along that vector from the origin to the point of intersection.

2. How do you find the angle between two vectors in 3D?

To find the angle between two vectors in 3D, you can use the dot product formula: dot product = ||a|| * ||b|| * cos(theta), where ||a|| and ||b|| are the magnitudes of the two vectors and theta is the angle between them. You can solve for theta by rearranging the formula: theta = arccos(dot product / (||a|| * ||b||)).

3. Can two non-parallel vectors in 3D ever have a point of intersection?

Yes, two non-parallel vectors in 3D can have a point of intersection. This is because in 3D space, there are an infinite number of planes that can contain both vectors, allowing for a point of intersection. However, if the two vectors are parallel, they will never intersect.

4. How do you determine if two vectors in 3D are parallel?

To determine if two vectors in 3D are parallel, you can use the cross product formula: ||a x b|| = ||a|| * ||b|| * sin(theta), where ||a x b|| is the magnitude of the cross product and theta is the angle between the two vectors. If the magnitude of the cross product is 0, then the two vectors are parallel.

5. Can the angle between two vectors in 3D be greater than 180 degrees?

No, the angle between two vectors in 3D cannot be greater than 180 degrees. This is because the dot product formula accounts for the angle between vectors in a range of 0 to 180 degrees. If the angle between the two vectors is greater than 180 degrees, the dot product formula would give a negative value, which does not correspond to a valid angle.