Intersection nested, closed sequence of intervals

In summary, we have a sequence of closed nested intervals and for each element in the sequence, we have the length of the interval. We can prove that the limit of the lengths exists, and if it is greater than 0, then the intersection of all the intervals is a closed interval of that length. This can be shown by reasoning about the definition of intersection and applying it to different cases.
mahler1
Homework Statement .
Let ##\{I_n\}_{n \in \mathbb N}## be a sequence of closed nested intervals and for each ##n \in \mathbb N## let ##\alpha_n## be the length of ##I_n##.
Prove that ##lim_{n \to \infty}\alpha_n## exists and prove that if ##L=lim_{n \to \infty}\alpha_n>0##, then ##\bigcap_{n \in \mathbb N} I_n## is a closed interval of length ##L##.

The attempt at a solution.

I didn't have problems to prove the existence of the limit: if ##I_n=[a_n,b_n]##, then ##\alpha_n=b_n-a_n## and ##\{a_n\}_n, \{b_n\}_n## are increasing and decreasing bounded sequences respectively, so both are convergent ##\implies \{\alpha_n\}_n## is convergent and ##lim_{n \to \infty} \alpha_n=lim_{n \to \infty}b_n-a_n=lim_{n \to \infty}b_n-lim_{n \to \infty}a_n=b-a##.

Now, I would like to say that if ##b-a>0 \implies \bigcap_{n \in \mathbb N} I_n=[a,b]##, but I don't know hot to prove this part.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try showing if x isn't in [a,b] then x isn't in the intersection and if x is in [a,b] then x is in the intersection.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .
Let ##\{I_n\}_{n \in \mathbb N}## be a sequence of closed nested intervals and for each ##n \in \mathbb N## let ##\alpha_n## be the length of ##I_n##.
Prove that ##lim_{n \to \infty}\alpha_n## exists and prove that if ##L=lim_{n \to \infty}\alpha_n>0##, then ##\bigcap_{n \in \mathbb N} I_n## is a closed interval of length ##L##.

The attempt at a solution.

I didn't have problems to prove the existence of the limit: if ##I_n=[a_n,b_n]##, then ##\alpha_n=b_n-a_n## and ##\{a_n\}_n, \{b_n\}_n## are increasing and decreasing bounded sequences respectively, so both are convergent ##\implies \{\alpha_n\}_n## is convergent and ##lim_{n \to \infty} \alpha_n=lim_{n \to \infty}b_n-a_n=lim_{n \to \infty}b_n-lim_{n \to \infty}a_n=b-a##.

Now, I would like to say that if ##b-a>0 \implies \bigcap_{n \in \mathbb N} I_n=[a,b]##, but I don't know hot to prove this part.

I guess I'm not seeing anything difficult about this. Can you prove that if x<a then x is not in ##\bigcap_{n \in \mathbb N} I_n##? Same if x>b. And if a<=x<=b then it is? It's just reasoning about what 'intersection' means.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
I guess I'm not seeing anything difficult about this. Can you prove that if x<a then x is not in ##\bigcap_{n \in \mathbb N} I_n##? Same if x>b. And if a<=x<=b then it is? It's just reasoning about what 'intersection' means.

Yes, it was just thinking the definition of intersection and apply it, thanks!

Related to Intersection nested, closed sequence of intervals

1. What is an intersection nested, closed sequence of intervals?

An intersection nested, closed sequence of intervals refers to a sequence of intervals where each interval contains the next one and the intersection of all the intervals is non-empty.

2. Why is it important in scientific research?

Intersection nested, closed sequences of intervals are important in scientific research because they can be used to represent and analyze complex systems or phenomena that involve multiple factors or variables.

3. How are these sequences created?

Intersection nested, closed sequences of intervals are created by identifying the relevant variables or factors involved in a system or phenomenon and then defining a set of intervals for each variable. These intervals are then nested within each other, with the largest interval encompassing all the smaller intervals.

4. What types of data can be represented using this method?

This method can be used to represent a wide range of data, including numerical data such as measurements or observations, categorical data such as survey responses, and even more complex data such as time-series data or spatial data.

5. How can intersection nested, closed sequences of intervals be analyzed?

The analysis of intersection nested, closed sequences of intervals often involves determining the intersection of all the intervals, as well as identifying any patterns or relationships between the intervals and the data they represent. This can be done using various statistical or mathematical methods, such as regression analysis, cluster analysis, or time-series analysis.