Interpreting the Greens function in frequency space

Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed the findings on a spin two electron spin system and the interpretation of the spectral function. The spectral function in this system takes into account the spin, momentum, and energy of electrons, and provides information about the possible configurations. The first term in the spectral function represents the probability of adding an electron with spin up to the system, while the second term represents the probability of adding an electron with spin up and energy gap U.
aaaa202
I have done a problem with a spin two electron spin system. I have found the Greens function propagator for spin up->spin up, which I have written in a form where the occupancy of spin up electrons is incorparated (attached) and from there I can get the spectral function, which will then be something like (omitting some factors):
A=(1-N_up)δ(ω-E-U) + N_upδ(ω-E)
But I am not sure how to interpret it. I know that for free electrons the spectral function A(k,ω) is something about how we can add an electron with momentum k to the system only by adding an electron with energy ω=E. But this can't be translated directly to how we can add an electron with spin up to the system since that would be impossible for 2 of the possible 4 configurations due to pauli exclusion. I can see that if the there is one electron of spin up the spectral function yields ω=E while if there is 0 ω=E+U. But how exactly is it to be interpreted?

Attachments

• greensfunc.png
    greensfunc.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 397
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your findings on the spin two electron spin system. It seems like you have made some interesting progress in understanding the system and its properties.

Firstly, let's discuss your question about interpreting the spectral function. As you mentioned, the spectral function for free electrons tells us about the possibility of adding an electron with a specific momentum and energy to the system. However, in your case, the spin of the electron also plays a role in determining the possible configurations. Therefore, the spectral function for the spin two electron spin system can be interpreted as the possibility of adding an electron with a specific spin, momentum, and energy to the system.

In your equation, the first term represents the possibility of adding an electron with spin up to the system, where the energy of the electron is equal to the energy of the system (ω=E). This term is multiplied by (1-N_up), which accounts for the fact that there is already an electron with spin up in the system, and therefore the probability of adding another electron with spin up is reduced. The second term represents the possibility of adding an electron with spin up to the system, where the energy of the electron is equal to the energy of the system plus the energy gap U (ω=E+U). This term is multiplied by N_up, which accounts for the fact that there is no electron with spin up in the system, and therefore the probability of adding an electron with spin up is increased.

Overall, your spectral function provides information about the possible configurations of the system, taking into account the spin of the electrons. I hope this helps to clarify the interpretation of your results.

Related to Interpreting the Greens function in frequency space

1. What is the Greens function in frequency space?

The Greens function in frequency space, also known as the spectral Green's function, is a mathematical representation of the response of a linear system to a unit impulse at a specific frequency. It is used to understand the behavior of a system in the frequency domain, as opposed to the time domain.

2. How is the Greens function in frequency space different from the time domain Greens function?

The Greens function in frequency space is a complex-valued function, whereas the time domain Greens function is a real-valued function. The frequency space Greens function also incorporates information about the system's response at all frequencies, whereas the time domain Greens function only describes the response at a specific time.

3. What is the significance of the Greens function in frequency space?

The Greens function in frequency space is a powerful tool for understanding the behavior of linear systems, particularly in the fields of physics, engineering, and mathematics. It allows for the analysis of a system's response to any input signal, making it useful for predicting the behavior of complex systems.

4. How is the Greens function in frequency space calculated?

The Greens function in frequency space can be calculated using various mathematical techniques, such as Fourier transforms and Laplace transforms. These methods involve transforming the system's differential equations into algebraic equations in the frequency domain, which can then be solved for the Greens function.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Greens function in frequency space?

The Greens function in frequency space has a wide range of applications, including in electromagnetic theory, acoustics, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. It is used to solve problems in areas such as antenna design, noise reduction, and quantum computing. It is also a fundamental concept in the study of wave propagation and scattering phenomena.