Interpretation of photons having zero spin

In summary, the conversation discusses the interpretation of the fact that photons have spin zero. It is questioned whether this is related to the fact that their proper time variation is zero and if it is possible to write down an eigenvalue equation for photons similar to that of electrons. It is concluded that the photon has spin one, not zero, and this is related to the Higgs boson having spin zero. The conversation also mentions a helpful thread on spin zero particles and the mistake of initially stating that photons have spin zero.
Tio Barnabe
What is the interpretation of the fact that photons have spin zero? Does it has do to with the fact that their proper time variation is zero?

Or let's go a bit deeper into the math. If it's possible to write down an eigenvalue equation for photons as it is possible for electrons, then we should have something like

S ketψ = λ ketψ, where ψ is a photon general state, S is the spin operator and λ the spin eigenvalue.

For this to be zero, I think one way is if the operator S is a null operator. But operators in QM are the mathematical translation of observables. So a null operator corresponding to a given observable means that that observable is not actually observed, correct? We would conclude that the photon has no observable spin.

This doesn't answer my initial question if it's related with the proper time of the photon though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tio Barnabe said:
What is the interpretation of the fact that photons have spin zero?

Where are you getting that from? Normally, I would say that photons have spin one.

Tio Barnabe said:
What is the interpretation of the fact that photons have spin zero?
Photon has spin 1 and Higgs boson has spin 0. (Source: Wikipedia)
You may find this thread on spin 0 particle helpful.

Likes Tio Barnabe
stevendaryl said:
Where are you getting that from? Normally, I would say that photons have spin one.
Mistake. Indeed photons have spin 1.

arpon said:
You may find this thread on spin 0 particle helpful.
Indeed very helpful. I don't know how I could have forgotten it. I have read about it in the great Sakurai's book.

Related to Interpretation of photons having zero spin

1. What does it mean for a photon to have zero spin?

For a particle to have spin, it must have a non-zero intrinsic angular momentum. Since photons are massless particles, they do not have any physical rotation, and therefore have zero spin.

2. How is the spin of a photon determined?

The spin of a photon is determined by its polarization, which is the direction of its electric and magnetic fields. This is a fundamental property of photons and cannot be altered or changed.

3. Can a photon's spin change?

No, a photon's spin cannot change. As mentioned before, it is a fundamental property of the particle and cannot be altered. However, photons can interact with other particles and change their polarization, but this does not affect their spin.

4. Does a photon's spin affect its speed?

No, a photon's spin does not affect its speed. The speed of light is constant and is not dependent on any of its properties, including spin.

5. How does zero spin affect the behavior of a photon?

The zero spin of a photon plays a crucial role in its behavior. It allows photons to travel at the speed of light and also makes them immune to the forces of magnetism and gravity. Additionally, the zero spin of a photon contributes to its ability to be both a particle and a wave.